Web Browser Discussion - FlashPeak Online Forum

Web Browser Software Forum. Discuss FlashPeak software products: SlimBrowser, IntelliComplete, BlazeFtp, etc.
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 1:03 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 3:29 pm 
Advanced Member

If you have configured SlimBrowser to use IE8 rendering mode, SlimBrowser might crash under Winxp when you view some improperly coded web pages (e.g., missing html tags). An example website is http://addons.eventscripts.com/addons/view/spawnpro . If you view the same website in IE, IE will automatically switch into compatibility view to display the page. However, such switching attempt would result in access violation in the case of SlimBrowser or any other browsers based on Microsoft trident engine.

On Windows 7, the situation is a little better. It doesn't crash but the tab view will attempt to display the web page first and then become completely blank after that.

If you run into such websites, you are recommended to view it in IE7 mode. To change the rendering mode, go to tools:options:misc, toggle the option "Enable IE8 rendering mode.".

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:09 pm 

Hi`

I am continuously crashing. I have not noticed what the pages are when it crashes. I looked under tools, options, ect. Ther is not anything there for me to choose a rendering mode. When it crashes I get the message "Slimbrowser is about to crash due to an exception.A dump file will be generated in the application data file". I have looked and there is nothing in the data file. I have used Slimbrowser for many years and would hate to have to change browsers if I cannot get this repaired. I have even tried uninstalling and reinstalling.

Thank You,
John

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:43 am 

This JUST started happening to me like 2 weeks ago. Didnt give it much thought at the time. But EVERY time I go to http://www.tomshardware.com
by browser locks up and I get a msg that "a script on the page is causing internet explorer to.." Freeze and force a restart of IE. Never had an issue with their site before. I tried to disable the script but froze before I could. Anyone have a clue what this may be attributed to? I know I can always just "not go there", but since it naver happened before, I want to know WHY now, ya know??

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:54 am 
Advanced Member

Anturako wrote:
This JUST started happening to me like 2 weeks ago. Didnt give it much thought at the time. But EVERY time I go to http://www.tomshardware.com
by browser locks up and I get a msg that "a script on the page is causing internet explorer to.." Freeze and force a restart of IE. Never had an issue with their site before. I tried to disable the script but froze before I could. Anyone have a clue what this may be attributed to? I know I can always just "not go there", but since it naver happened before, I want to know WHY now, ya know??

Check Tools > Options > Advanced and see if you have a checkmark for Suppress Script Errors. If no checkmark go ahead and click it to check mark the selection and click OK to exit Options and see if the problem continues.

Relationships are ours to make; we define them, day by day,
by who we choose to love and how we choose to love them.
And, by these choices, define ourselves. ~~~Richard N. Patterson

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 6:20 am 

SlimBrowser used to crash in the past but the latest version made it very stable, I am very happy with it!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 5:00 am 

Slim Browser sounds fine but I can't try it, since it ALWAYS crashes when I double click on its exe file. I noticed other people are having the same problem and I can't tell which IE codes or other stuff I am using since I can't RUN Slim Browser. I use XP SP2. Any suggestions? Thanks!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:13 am 
Advanced Member

Pitkoncon wrote:
Slim Browser sounds fine but I can't try it, since it ALWAYS crashes when I double click on its exe file. I noticed other people are having the same problem and I can't tell which IE codes or other stuff I am using since I can't RUN Slim Browser. I use XP SP2. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Using Internet Options accesible from your Start Menu, just type in "internet options", set the tab to open on startup to About:Blank, then see if SB crashes on startup or not.

Relationships are ours to make; we define them, day by day,
by who we choose to love and how we choose to love them.
And, by these choices, define ourselves. ~~~Richard N. Patterson

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:12 am 

oftentired wrote:
Pitkoncon wrote:

Using Internet Options accesible from your Start Menu, just type in "internet options", set the tab to open on startup to About:Blank, then see if SB crashes on startup or not.

Did that, crashed again. Had to cold reboot... :( Thanks for the tip, anyway...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:27 am 

flashpeak wrote:
If you have configured SlimBrowser to use IE8 rendering mode, SlimBrowser might crash under Winxp when you view some improperly coded web pages (e.g., missing html tags). An example website is http://addons.eventscripts.com/addons/view/spawnpro . If you view the same website in IE, IE will automatically switch into compatibility view to display the page. However, such switching attempt would result in access violation in the case of SlimBrowser or any other browsers based on Microsoft trident engine.

On Windows 7, the situation is a little better. It doesn't crash but the tab view will attempt to display the web page first and then become completely blank after that.

If you run into such websites, you are recommended to view it in IE7 mode. To change the rendering mode, go to tools:options:misc, toggle the option "Enable IE8 rendering mode.".

Under XP, I have seen few issues with IE8 mode, but with yesterday's announcement of a zero day exploit, I am hesitating to use SlimBrowser at all in IE8 mode. Is there a workaround? Tks and sorry for interrupting the thread.