Web Browser Discussion - FlashPeak Online Forum

Web Browser Software Forum. Discuss FlashPeak software products: SlimBrowser, IntelliComplete, BlazeFtp, etc.
It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 2:42 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Win 98SE install issue
PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:40 pm 

I have an old Windows 98SE computer I rebuilt for classic gaming and having only 266Mhz & 384mb ram to work with a light web browser would be useful at times for minor tasks,
But when I try to install "V5.01 ANSI Version for Win9X" from the download page all it will say "... SBSETUP.EXE file expects a newer version of windows. ..." is there a work around or did i miss something?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:52 pm 
Advanced Member

try Slimboat instead

http://www.softpedia.com/get/Internet/Browsers/SlimBoat.shtml

Relationships are ours to make; we define them, day by day,
by who we choose to love and how we choose to love them.
And, by these choices, define ourselves. ~~~Richard N. Patterson

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 5:52 am 

Slimboat does not show any compatibility with anything below win XP witch would be of no use to my Win 98se box

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:55 am 
Advanced Member

My bad for some reason I had XP in my mind when I double checked the boat compatibility.

If you go to the What's New link from the Help menu and scroll down there are previous versions linked.

If you discover a version not linked that you want I have most of them going back to vs 3.6.003

On another forum I read that there is a way to make Win98 compatible with XP if your interested in that. In reviewing the two links I noticed that the KernelEx is updated periodically which is a hopeful indication that it is keeping up with the changing needs of backward compatibility.

Quote:
However, it is possible to patch Windows 98/98SE/ME to run programs which require Windows XP, such as Firefox 3 or IE7, by installing the program KernelEx (the Kernel extender). I have not yet tried this with IE8.

KernelEx is a free Open Source compatibility layer which allows the running of Windows 2000/XP applications on Windows 98/ME by using custom API libraries that implement (or simulate) functions and procedures needed by WinXP programs.

It neither requires nor includes system files from other Windows products such as Windows 2000 or Windows XP. The only requirement is that the user first installs the free Microsoft Layer for Unicode (MSLU) from:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-gb/magazine/cc301794.aspx

Download KernelEx 4.0 RC2 from:

http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=255038&package_id=312287

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:35 am 

No problem I will give it a shot thanks

EDIT:
Updated Link for the MSLU since MS changed there download page (just in case anyone else might have this problem)
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download ... px?id=4237

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:19 pm 
Advanced Member

Lucian_Dragos wrote:
No problem I will give it a shot thanks

EDIT:
Updated Link for the MSLU since MS changed there download page (just in case anyone else might have this problem)
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download ... px?id=4237

Thanks for the updated link

This may prove faster for an actual 98se compatible version if your still looking for one

http://www.oldapps.com/slim_browser.php

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 1:57 am 

Just to assure you that it can be done, I am right now using Slimbrowser ver 5.01 build 38, on an old Dell Latitude CPi, pentium 2, with 128 mb ram, Windows 98SE 4.10.2222a, also have ClamWin Free Antivirus, Wireless B network adaptor in the PCMCIA slot, (used BOINGO's program to make connection easier), Gmail works fine, using Comcast for internet, and I can't hardly beleive how good this works. By the way, Comcast email, just barely runs because it so bloated and overloaded with garbage, advertising, and very bad design.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:43 am 

As mentioned above KernelEx 4.52 really improves the experience of Windows 95, 98 and especially ME! :D
KernelEx 4.52 is a discontinued project and can still be downloaded. If one has questions they can visit KernelEx Wiki.

I was not able to install Internet Explorer 7 with KernelEx, though, the Browsers I can install are amazing.
The newest Slimbrowser 7.00.082, that came out this month, is working perfectly on my Inspiron 8000, 900 Mhz., 256 MB RAM, Windows ME, Internet 6. There are no Script errors! This browser works as well or better than any other.
I have installed Firefox 3-9, Nightingale, (2014 edition), Opera 11 & 12, (12 is a bit too slow), SeaMonkey 2.01 as well as others, including older ones for 98/ME. There are just too many Script errors on a browser for Windows 98/ME that does not have KernelEx support.

My older Thinkpad 760XD, 166 Mhz, 56 MB RAM can browse with Firefox 3 and SeaMonkey 2.01, (OffByOne is cool for a little search - 1 MB Browser). I am unable to run Slimbrowser 6 & 7 due to a GDIPlus error message.

On my Thinkpad 390E, 333 Mhz. and my Inspiron 8000, (better the 8000), I can watch YouTube, installing FlashPlayer 10.8 on the Inspiron and 10.1 on the Thinkpad 390E, (due to the CPU speed limitation described in KernelEX Wiki.

Having said this KernelEx is discontinued and is a very small program code. This should be studied and written in by the Browser Programmers and others!