Web Browser Discussion - FlashPeak Online Forum

Web Browser Software Forum. Discuss FlashPeak software products: SlimBrowser, IntelliComplete, BlazeFtp, etc.
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:19 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:23 am 

I hope I'm not asking much, perhaps in the near future, please merge SlimBrowser and SlimBoat into one browser, somewhat like when Avant Browser absorbed its sister browser, Orca, which are made by the same developer. Doing so will make the combined SlimBrowser + SlimBoat a dual engine (and maybe a possible 3rd engine in the future). Lunascape is tri-engine since the beginning, Avant is now tri-engine as well, and I think Maxthon is dual engine. It would really be handy, especially the engine-switching, either auto or manual. There are just so many possibilities and greater advantages of a single browser with multi-engines instead of separate ones. Most people especially the advanced ones, use more than two browsers to accomodate their needs, since a single browser of its own engine doesn't work right all the time, thus they are to forced to open different browsers at the same time.

Also IE8 has the InPrivate Filtering mechanism which acts like a pseudo-adblocker. The great thing about it is that it smarfully, automatically blocks stuff as its database grows in time. It is possible to select which entries are blocked or ignored by the User. I was hoping Slim can have the same tool as well. Thanx.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:50 am 

the text color on the top toolbars depend on the theme you are using. slimbrowser didnt make those colors choosable... at least not that i know of. but the tabs i know, so thats why they are white.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:47 pm 
Advanced Member

Makiwaiba wrote:
I hope I'm not asking much, perhaps in the near future, please merge SlimBrowser and SlimBoat into one browser, somewhat like when Avant Browser absorbed its sister browser, Orca, which are made by the same developer. Doing so will make the combined SlimBrowser + SlimBoat a dual engine (and maybe a possible 3rd engine in the future). Lunascape is tri-engine since the beginning, Avant is now tri-engine as well, and I think Maxthon is dual engine. It would really be handy, especially the engine-switching, either auto or manual. There are just so many possibilities and greater advantages of a single browser with multi-engines instead of separate ones. Most people especially the advanced ones, use more than two browsers to accomodate their needs, since a single browser of its own engine doesn't work right all the time, thus they are to forced to open different browsers at the same time.

Also IE8 has the InPrivate Filtering mechanism which acts like a pseudo-adblocker. The great thing about it is that it smarfully, automatically blocks stuff as its database grows in time. It is possible to select which entries are blocked or ignored by the User. I was hoping Slim can have the same tool as well. Thanx.

This one had been niggling at the back of my mind.

Perhaps the browser engine of Slimboat with only the functions affecting web page rendering, such as Ad Blocker and PopUp Blocker and proxy and status bar weather, that must be fully integrated with the engine to be usefull can be singled out with the Boat engine and kept apart as a separate process from the rest of the nice things that the Boat brings to the table? This would keep the browser code execution slim and fast. Then the additional goodies that many users enjoy, both from the Boat and Slimbrowser, such as Groups and QuickFill can could be sorted out into an independent executing code that comes into play after the fast Boat is well on its way. Always giving priority to the execution of the web page rendering Boat.

Mmmm and the spellchecker could come along for the ride too.

This seems something along the lines of SBFrame and SBRender but perhaps slightly different in implementation. It would be SlimbboatFrame&Render and SlimboatWrapper.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 6:13 am 
Advanced Member

Yes I'm for that too, but only as long as none of the functionality of SlimBrowser is lost. The ability to switch engines would definitely make life that bit easier, since there are inevitably some things that work better with one engine than the other.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 8:48 am 
Advanced Member

scribe_uk wrote:
Yes I'm for that too, but only as long as none of the functionality of SlimBrowser is lost. The ability to switch engines would definitely make life that bit easier, since there are inevitably some things that work better with one engine than the other.

Oh this has me thinking.

A frame using Slimbrowser and a choice of Render using either Boat or SB.

Relationships are ours to make; we define them, day by day,
by who we choose to love and how we choose to love them.
And, by these choices, define ourselves. ~~~Richard N. Patterson