Web Browser Discussion - FlashPeak Online Forum

Web Browser Software Forum. Discuss FlashPeak software products: SlimBrowser, IntelliComplete, BlazeFtp, etc.
It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:59 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 2:32 pm 

I've been using Slimbrowser for years and never had a problem until now. Not complaining here as I realize it is free, just hope my feedback is helpful.

Issues after loading latest version of SB V6 Build 56, I had an earlier version of V6 which I loaded last week. Issues actually started then.
1) CPU load is way up
2) Scrolling on web pages the screen flickers/redraws
3) Websites load up very slowly
4) Overall computer is running slower and has locked up several times.

My computer
IE 8.06
Windows XP SP3
32 Bit OS
2.33ghz Intel Dual chip
1 GB of RAM
Lenovo T60p
Interenet connection 16mb down, 4mb up

thanks

Post subject: Update on my issue
PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 2:52 pm 

I just went back to Version 5.01, no issues now.

I noticed that my overall CPU usage is back down 1% to 4% when the computer is sitting idle. With version 6 slimbrowser, my overall CPU usage was constantly bouncing around from 20% to 99% when the computer was sitting idle. The SBrenderer.exe in v6 was low on memory usage, and when I opened addtl tabs the subsequent sbrenderer.exe's were all low, as such I did not think I had an issue with slim browser 6. I actually thought I had a virus or something.

With version 5.01 now installed, computer screen redraws are quick again, pages load quickly, overall system performance is quick and is the way it was prior to loading v6.

Didn't mention this in my last post and don't know if it matters but this is my video card
ATI Mobility FireGL V5250

Additionally, my XP SP3 is the Professional version if that matters.

Post subject: forgot to add this
PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 2:55 pm 

My svchost.exe file is not showing any CPU usage with Version 5. With Version 6, it was bouncing around 20% to 99%, probably averaging 70%. Again, this was while the computer was just sitting there.

It is the main/largest svchost.exe file, not the small subsequent ones that appear.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:19 pm 

I think I have the same problem, especially with scrolling. I'm using a white MacBook (the late 2009 model) running Mac OS X 10.7.4 (Lion) on a 2.26 Ghz Core 2 Duo with 2 GB ram. Lion's memory management seems to be quite terrible, so I was looking for a less memory-intensive replacement to Chrome, where I often have around 30 tabs open at any given time. When I read about—and subsequently installed—Slimbrowser, it seemed to be a good alternative, until I tried scrolling. It just didn't work, at least not up to speed. The page very slowly moved down, but not at a constant rate, and often with quite jerky movements. But when I stopped scrolling, it continued to move on down. And if I waited until it stopped, the place in the page that it stopped was, presumably, the place where a "normal" scroll would have landed me. I'm not an extremely technical person, but I would guess the redrawing speed is also the problem in my case here. I don't have any CPU issues that you mentioned, but scrolling is definitely a problem. Any advice on how to downgrade to 5.01? Maybe that's the only solution until they get this bug worked out.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:27 am 
Advanced Member

Click Help > What's New and scroll down the page for earlier versions

Relationships are ours to make; we define them, day by day,
by who we choose to love and how we choose to love them.
And, by these choices, define ourselves. ~~~Richard N. Patterson

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:41 pm 

Just loaded version 7, I am having similar lagging issues with it, I like this browser so I am going to try SlimBoat and if I do not like it I will probably down-grade to version 5.01.

This may be my webmail client, still investigating since it occurred in both SlimBrowser and SlimBoat, I am going to see if it occurs in IE also before I report it, I am switching to SlimBoat only because it is avilable for the Linux OS also and seems pretty much like SlimBrowser, currently I only have seen one issue and that is setting up an additional search engine, I use IXQuick and it sets up fine in SlimBrowser but only brings up the search page in SlimBoat no search, the sad part is additional search engines are setup similarly in both browsers but they use files with differing extensions, if someone has a solution for this issue please post it.