Web Browser Discussion - FlashPeak Online Forum

Web Browser Software Forum. Discuss FlashPeak software products: SlimBrowser, IntelliComplete, BlazeFtp, etc.
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 2:26 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Slimbrowser looses Focus
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:53 am 

Occasionally SlimBrowser looses Focus after navigating to another page.

Reproducable on my Machine:
Search something on Google
click some link
hit back Button -> Focus lost

This also ramdomly occurs after following a hyperlink pointing to a different domain.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:04 pm 

I think that is the same problem I see on certain Bulletin Boards.

SYMPTOMS
Click on a message on BB
Read message
Try to click on BACK arrow on top of browser and notice that it is unresponsive and still grey.

SOLUTION (for me)
Click right button on mouse
Select "BACK"
Works every time (for me)

I only see this problem on Win7 Home Premium with recent SB releases (last couple of months?). Currently using 6.01.094
Do not see the same problem on another machine using Win XP and a version of SB which I think is 6.01.076

Neddle01

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:51 am 

So, I started looking at this more closely and I will post findings here.

For the last couple of months I have kept upgading the SB version on my Win7 as new releases came out. During that time, as well as seeing "lost focus" problems I have had trouble with SB freezing and/or all tabs freezing for a minute or more - EXCEPT the active one and a general, noticeable, slowness.

I was not seeing these problems so badly on my (low end) XP machine. Until last night. I decided to risk upgrading SB from 076 to 095. Big mistake. Similar sort of errant behaviour as on the Win7 machine became apparent although possible not so extreme.

I don't know why that is happening but I do know which site is responsible. It is a financial website and BB. I don't know if the site in question has changed in some way but I do know that running that site (and one or more subsiduary windows/tabs from the same site) is causing latest SB releases some real problems.

The solution I am now testing is to run that errant site in Chrome (so I have two or three Chrome tabs open) and all the other five or six sites I like to monitor on SB. So far my Chrome tabs are running really fast and so are my (different) SB tabs. In fact I have not seen SB running so fast for quite some time.

So, in may case, a two-browser system is best. Since I am normally running Chrome alongside SB anyway it is not a big issue for me. SlimBoat is another possible single browser solution since it seems to handle ALL the sites I monitor but it is not quite 100% suitable for me yet.

Hope this information may be of use to other SB users.

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 1:34 am 

Hey,
I am experiencing this condition in the Extreme.
I too, believe it is only with Win7 (I run XP on a seperate partition and haven't noticed it there,) but I'm not sure.
I've been a hardcore fan of SB since the 2.xx versions but I am using anything BUT SB right now because it's so difficult to read.

The issue seems to have a timing componet as well; as text becomes blurry over a short time and sometimes clicking or otherwise bringing a page into "focus" will "re-focus" the text, but not for long. i.e. mousing over certain text areas brings them back in focus. But not always and not for long.

I tried changing a multitude of controls in the Security and Advanced sections of IE Internet Options as well as changing the default fonts. I initially thought it was an accessability issue relating to the "carat" that is refered to in the "accessability" area of advanced internet options. I've also upgraded and downgraded my SB versions up to current (7.01 ?) and down to (5.4 or 5.8) (I'd have to check).

How far back (or how low a version) can I go that will still support Win7?
Any other suggestions GREATLY Appreciated.