Web Browser Discussion - FlashPeak Online Forum

Web Browser Software Forum. Discuss FlashPeak software products: SlimBrowser, IntelliComplete, BlazeFtp, etc.
It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 8:20 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 2:30 am 

I've been using Slimbrowser for several years first on an XP desktop and now on the Windows 7 desktop all with no problem.
Until my version of IE was updated to IE11.
Since then I find that Slimbrowser starts OK and is fine for a time but then gets slower on each new tab opened, even if I close the previous tab first until it eventually freezes completely and I have to shut it down using Task Manager.

If I then start it again, it is again fine for a time but then the same happens again.

I am on Windows 7 64 Bit and as I say with IE 11 and SB version 7.00.070

Is this a known problem or does anyone have any ideas please. I am being forced into using a different browser which I don't like as much.

Many thanks

Peter

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:14 am 

Hi, yes here the same.

I only know IE 11 is the problem.

@Work: it started with Windows 8.1 64bit IE 11

@Home all fine. Window 7 64 bit IE10
View days ago. Suddenly same problem. IE version !! 11. Looking at update history, yes updated.
Removed it.
And yes works fine again.
(Disabled IE 11 update in Windows Update)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 11:22 am 
Advanced Member

ditto

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 2:47 am 

I've been monitoring the memory taken up using Task Manager.

It seems that this goes up every time a new tab or even a new page in the same tab is opened but does not decrease with the page or tab is closed.

So the memory taken up just grows and grows and loading pages gets slower and slower until eventually it completely freezes.

So it seems the core of the problem is SB using IE11 not freeing memory on closing tabs.

Can this please be looked at for the next release.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:08 pm 
Advanced Member

The problem doesn't directly relate to IE11. The number of tabs if 10 and less than 10 opened are using a single sbrender process. And if all the websites open are resource hungry which is most of them these days, the sbrender process easily takes up 500 to 800mb of memory making it more slow. Even if you close one of the 10 tabs open, there is no drastic change (reduction) in the memory utilisation by the SB rendering process (sbrender.exe). So try and change the default tabs per process to 2 or 4 in tools > options > Advanced and change the value of maximum tabs per process (take a look at the below screenshot).

This way each process is limited to 2 sites and once you're done with them and close the tabs, the entire rendering process is exited which immediately reduces the memory utlilisation. have tried different values and personally at 4GB of memory installed 2 tabs per process works for me smoothly. for less than 4GB i would suggest 4 tabs per process. and if you have more than 4 gigs installed then 1 tabs per process will give you even better performance.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 1:56 am 

Thank you iCORM that certainly helps. I changed my maximum to 4 and at this moment have 9 tabs open with 3 SBrender processes running, one taking 221K, the second 219k and the third 18k.

So the overall memory consumed seems to remain much the same but splitting it between the processes seems to help although I did notice the 8th and 9th tab still taking longer to open.

Also it doesn't really help when I close one tab before re-opening it as I often do as the memory on the re-used tab continues to grow as all memory is not released when it is closed.

Also you said it wasn't directly IE11 related but I didn't notice any such problem before my system was upgraded to IE11 - unfortunately I haven't any memory usage stats to compare with before this happened.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 2:20 pm 
Advanced Member

Open IE11 and open Manage Add-Ons via the tools menu on top left or via the settings cog wheel icon on the right.
Once on Manage Add-ons screen, on the left bottom select show "All add-ons". After that disable every damn item that you DO NOT USE, i mean everything such as tool bars and extensions, search providers, accelerators, etc... (leave adobe shockwave flash|pdf|Java plugin and other required add-ons enabled).

In Slimbrowser, go to tools > Internet Explorer Add-Ons > and make sure none of the items are checked in Browser Extensions and Browser Helper Objects.

Restart machine as many of the add-ons may still be use by IE engine running in any background app.

P.S: Sadly most of the above extensions are actually incompatible with SB but they will try to run everytime to you try to fire up SB which uses IE Engine.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 2:09 am 

Tried disabling all but didn't make much difference. However I then reduced the max number of tabs down again from 4 to 2 and that meant that each time I closed a third tab the whole Sbrender process closed and re-opened which of course released the memory and that helped.

It might even be worth taking it down to 1 which would mean every new tab starting a new Sbrender process and more imporantly closing it when the tab is closed.

In fact that appears to be the way the Google Chrome browser works

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:45 pm 

This is not a new problem. I have emails from SB support from years back trying to get SB to stop freezing up. I have tried doing everything on this forum and other places but sbrender still freezes up. When it does, it doesn't just freeze one page, it freezes all of them. I have to kill the sbrender processes to stop everything. I really hate FF and have always loved SB since the days of XP especially since it runs my favorite password vault, RoboForm which FF does not.

I find myself having to learn (shudder) FF due to SB simply not written right, and not having anybody there who is qualified to correct the problem. FF really hurts. SB really great but can no linger tolerate it after so many years of the same/similer problem. :( :? :twisted:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:56 pm 
Advanced Member

There is Hope

http://www.slimbrowser.net/web-browser-blog/