New Features & Version History
This page lists the changes in the latest version as well as
earlier versions. You can download earlier versions by clicking
the download button beside the version numbers.
- Fixed automatic form filling issues on outlook.com.
- Fix video playback issue.
- Add Vietnamese language file
- Solve playback issue of Tencent video.
- Updated some language files.
- Added Bing search engine into the list of preinstalled engines.
- Updated German language file.
- Fixed a bug with youtube video downloader.
- Added Yandex engine for Russian users.
- Fixed video playback issue with tencent video (v.qq.com).
- Added Privacy Protection List into the ad blocker.
- Improve performance of ad blocker
- Improve upload speed of built-in ftp uploader.
- Fixed compatibility issue with uk.yahoo.com
- Fixed compatibility issue with Yahoo.com
- Fixed a bug with ad blocker.
- Fixed a bug with facebook sharing.
- Fix youku video playback issue.
- Fix crash when uploading files under Windows xp.
- Fixed a bug with youtube video downloader.
- Fix crash when uploading photos directly from mobile phone or digital camera.
- Fix bug with download manager when downloading files bigger than 2GB.
For detailed changes in each build, please read the detailed changed log in the forum. If you would like to understand more about the new features in V7.0, please read Introduction to SlimBrowser 7.0.
Major Changes Introduced in V7.0
- Improved process model to prevent SlimBrowser from freezing or hanging after prelonged use in a single session.
- Redesigned ad blocker to support ad blocker plus filter rules.
- Improved Photo Salon:
- Allow users to select a portion of the input photo for final output image.
- Added photo paper effect for opaque photo frames.
- Added support for signature image.
- Allow users to tilt photos randomly when combining multiple photos.
- Allow some photo frames to be used for both landscape and portrait photos.
- Redesigned tabs page:
- Configurable number of rows and columns.
- Configurable background color or image.
- Resize quick-dial buttons based on the current window size.
- Added better support to use the original address bar as search bar as well (i.e., Omni-bar).
- Redesigned address bar drop down suggestion list to show matching items from history, favorites, forms, groups as well as search suggestions provided by the current search engine. All the keywords will be matched separately if multiple keywords are typed into the address bar.
- Switched to new weather data source with better accuracy, separate day and night weather, and 7-day forecast.
- Added support for mouse dragging gesture for back/forward navigation (Drag left or right while holding right button to navigate back or forward).
- Disable playing of gif animations by default.
- Bug fix: Allow control+F to invoke the find dialog in script pad.
- Added support for IE 10 compatible view list. Updated IE9 compatible view list
- Added built-in support for “Pin It” operation for pinterest.com.
- Allow users to directly edit form files that show up in the address bar suggestion list. Allow users to delete urls from the entire domain for urls that show up in the address bar suggestion list.
- Allow users to view the preferred password in identities protected by master password.
- Added “Upload Clipboard Image” button in upload file dialog.
- Added support for custom zoom percentage.
- Added option to hide the title bar when the main window is maximized in order to save screen space for small monitors.
- Added menu View->View DOM Source to help developers view the dynamic DOM structure.
- Added support for settings backup and restoration under menu “Tools:Back & Restore”.
- Use a new smaller icon for the mini menu button.
- Added menu Window->Go to Last Active Tab and shortcuts key Ctrl+Q so that users can toggle between two tabs back and forth easily with keyboard.
- Allow users to use saved form or site group on quickdial buttons on tabs page.
- Added drop down menu to show the quickdial sites on the new tab(+) button.
For detailed changes in each build, please read the detailed changed log in the forum.
Changes in last several builds:
- Allow users to middle click a quickdial button on the tabs page to open it in a new tab. (Shift click or use the "Open In New Tab" menu is also ok).
- Fixed "download youtube video" button position
- Fixed cooked sharing issue on Windows 8+IE10.
- Added option to automatically fill forms upon page loading when a matching saved form is detected.
- Redesigned appearance of tab bar. Eliminated drawing flickering of tab bar.
- Added support to capture screenshot of selected area of a web page.
- Add integration with virustotal online scanner. You can either select menu "Tools:Security: Scan with VirusTotal" to scan the current site or right click on a link on the current page and select "Scan with VirusTotal" to scan this particular link.
- Added menu to display most frequently visited sites under "File->Most Frequently Visited Sites"
- Added menu to display recently added favorites under "Favorites->Recently Added Favorites"
- Added menu to display most frequently visited forms under "QuickFill->Most Frequently Used Forms"
Major changes in this version:
- New feature: Added easy way to upload clibpoard image. Right click within the file input text box and select "Upload Clipboard Image" from the popup menu
- Added support for full-text search of bookmarked websites by caching the text information locally.
- Bug fix: default browser registration issue under Windows 8
- Add support to convert youtube video to mp3 file.
- Added support to download youtube video to mp4 and other formats.
- UNIQUE and INNOVATIVE new feature: Photo-Salon
It allows you to add beautiful photo frames and other enhancement effects to your photos right before you upload them. It also automatically shrink photos to web-optimized resolution to dramatically reduce upload time. Very easy to use and it won't affect your original photos. Works with any websites. Find out more about this feature here.
- The old autologin feature has been replaced with the new form filler feature under the "Quick Fill" menu. Autologin files will be upgraded into saved form files.
- Renamed "Links Bar" into "Favorites Bar". The old "Favorites Bar" is now called "All Favorites".
- Added option to ignore https sites in download manager options.
- Added menu tools:reset all settings.
- Bug fix: double clicking ftp folder in a ftp folder view opens the ftp folder in an external explorer window.
- Feature change: The entire browser window is now hidden when the browser is locked.
- Added paste & search into the context menu of the quicksearch box.
- Ctrl key for the purpose of new tab activation toggling now affects only sites opened from existing tabs by middle-clicking, shift+clicking or selecting the menu "Open In New Tab".
- Now you can use delete key to delete a single entry from the drop down list of the address bar.
- Bug fix: Tab bar height wasn't adjusted properly when the bar is using multi-line mode while resizing the main window.
- Reduced the time to close a group of tabs.
- Bug fix: website with title including special characters such as apostrophe messes up the quickdial settings.
- Added support to download all the links from the current web page. Accessible from the in-page context menu ""Download all with download manager" and from the toolbar on the download manager.
- The folder to save pictures is now remembered across browsing sessions.
- Added "Window->Restore All/Maximize All" to the Window menu.
- Added site-dependent zoom settings. If you set a specific zoom setting on a web page, next time you come to the same domain, the same zoom setting will be applied.
- Added support to import firefox bookmarks in one click (Favorites->More->Import Firefox Bookmarks).
- Added option to easily disable the securty alert when browsing pages with both http and https content.
- Reduced startup time when skin is enabled.
- Skin selection dialog has been changed into a menu list.
- Add support to restore popup window by openning blocked url directly. Now we have two ways to restore popup windows. The old way is allow popups temporarily and refresh the current page (Allow Popup and Reload).
The new way will restore the blocked popup window by opening its URL directly. The new way is more useful in cases where refreshing the current page will cause either loss of data or session information.
- Added support to delete individual items from the history view.
- Changed domain autocompletion options. Added checkbox to enable/disable each of them individually. Check tools:options:address bar.
- Added option to start a new rendering process upon closing all tabs. This option is enabled by default and will release all the memory used by the previous rendering process when the last tab is closed.
- Added support for web form spell checking in German, Italian, French, Dutch, Portuguese and Spanish.
- Bug fix: installing some skins will cause SlimBrowser window to freeze.
- Adopted new multiple process architecture. Each tab is hosted in a separate process for improved application stability and security.
- When one tab crashes, you will have the chance to restore this same tab to the original URL. The other tabs will not be affected.
- By default, all tabs share the same session. However, you can open a separate session by selecting File->New->Separate Session. This will allow to you login multiple web accounts at the same time.
- You can dynamically switch rendering mode without restarting the browser. Use Tools:Compatibility Setting menu to specify the rendering mode for the current page.
- Favorite site icon is now shown in the address bar instead of default web page icon.
- IMPORTANT: SlimBrowser now has independent home setting from Internet Explorer. Please set SlimBrowser homepage in Tools:options:homepage.
- A quick-dial page will be shown by default when creating a new tab. This option can be changed in Tools:options:new tab which provides three choices: tabs page, home page and blank page.
- Added warning when the last visible toolbar is hidden. Also, at startup, the menu bar will be shown automatically if all toolbars are hidden during last session.
- Added "New Tab(+)" button on the tab bar.
- Added menu "View:Compact Mode" so that you can easily switch a compact mode UI which provides a mini menu button instead of a full menu bar.
- Show loading animation on the tab when a web page is being downloaded.
- Save screen shot of web page via File->Save Screenshot.
- Bug fix: can't open new windows from inside flash object when popup blocker is enabled.
- language file updates.
- Fixed share on twitter menu function.
- Fixed Chinese-Japan-Korean language message box autowrap issue.
- Fixed crash when clicking special folders in the folder bar.
- Bug fix: Resize checkbox controls properly after translation in Windows XP.
- Bug fix: web page translation fails to update properly.
- Updated language files.
- New way to close tabs conveniently: close tabs on the left, close tabs from the same domain.
- Bug fix: help button on download manager option page not working.
- Bug fix: crash upon building links bar.
- Bug fix: log file is now also removed upon cleaning history.
- Bug fix: online feedback page failed to fill in configuration information automatically.
- Bug fix: side pane size not properly saved in some cases.
- Complete Polish language added.
- Bug fix: Context menu not working when browsing files from UNC path. Couldn't open files from UNC path.
- Bug fix: Active pane in explorer bar not saved properly at exit
- Bug fix: download manager history not saved properly
- Bug fix: autologin not working for some sites.
- Bug fix: some in-page shortcuts not working with IE9
- Automatic memory optimization.
- Improved support for IE9.
- Performance improvement: reduced program exiting time.
- Bug fix: The & symbol is now displayed on links bar correctly.
Build 012 and earlier
- Added built-in support to share the active page with a single click over various social networking channels, web services and web emails. Accessible via menu "Tools:Share this page".
You can also right click on a tab and select "Share this page" from the context menu. The same features can be accessed from the corresponding buttons on the standard toolbar.
Existing users need customize the toolbar to see the new buttons.
- Added interface to facebook so that you can easily share the active page, selected text within the active page or update your status on facebook. Accessible from menu "Tools:Facebook" or
the corresponding toolbar buttons.
- Added facebook support to in-page shortcut menu to make sharing picture and text easier. You can right click on a picture and share it on facebook. You can aslo select a piece of text
and share it. Look for the new menu items from in-page context menu.
- Added "Download with download manager" into in-page shortcut menu when you right click on a link. It helps you invoke download manager easily even if you have it turned off
- Added option to bypass certain file types such as office documents and PDF files for download manager.
- Add option to automatically pass unresolvable address to specified search engine. This option is customizable in “Tools:options:address bar”.
- Significantly improved slimbrowser startup speed.
- Added menu to share current page on facebook. Accessible via "tools:social networking:share this page on facebook".
- Added Deals Hunter toolbar to help online shoppers finding
the best deals online. Activate the toolbar via menu "View:Toolbars:XML Toolbars:Deals Hunter".
- Added built-in Multi-threaded Download
Manager which improve
file download speed by several times and can resume
- Config download manager options
in "Tools:Options:Download Manager".
- Open download manager window by selecting
"View:Explorer Bars:Download Manager"
or click the newly added download manager
button on the standard toolbar. You need
customize the toolbar to add the new button
if you upgrade from an older version.
- Added capability to search/translate/define/map
directly from the popup menu when you right click
in a web page.
- Added capability to translate selected text from
any language into any language inside a web page
without leaving the page. Check the new menu items
under "Language" Menu.
- Improved weather forcasting feature. Enable weather
display on status bar by going to tools:options:weather.
You can view 5-day weather forcasting details inside
a dialog when you click on the weather display
area on the status bar.
- Added "Quick Bookmark" menu item into Favorites
Menu. It can let you bookmark a page with a single
click and save it into predefined folders.
- Universal URL Filter is now called Ad Blocker.
The built-in block list is now separately managed
from the user-defined block list.
- Added capability to manually pick an AD image within
a page and add it into the Ad blocker block list.
All you need do is CTRL+SHIFT+Right click on the
AD image and select "Block this Ad" from the
- Bug fix: When browsing local folders inside slimbrowser,
double-clicking a folder used to open an external
windows explorer. Now it will open in the same
- Important Behavior Change: "Open In New
the popup menu when you right click inside a page
is now enabled and will open the selected link
in a new tab. The "Open
In New Window" menu item will open an external
- Bug fix: When web
page is zoomed in, middle-clicking a link to open
a new tab used to open incorrect link sometimes.
Now it's fixed.
- Bug fix: When browsing
folders shared over Windows networking, there
used to be unnessary security warnings. Now they
- Bug fix: Bypass
server list not working in proxy switcher.
- Feature Change: The menu item "Tools:Extract
search engine data" menu item is now moved to
the dropdown menu on the quicksearch box.
- Added support of
favicon on the quicksearch box dropdown menu.
- Bug fix: Auto-hide taskbar not coming out automatically
when SlimBrowser is using Skin in Windows 7.
- Bug fix: ctrl+shift+left/right and ctrl+a is
working correctly inside address bar.
- Feature Change: Changed
shortcut key for zooming into ctrl+ and ctrl-.
- Feature Change: All language files are now included
in the setup file instead of being downloaded online.
- Removed in-page ad-filter.
- Tools:shortcuts have been renamed to Tools:Frequently
- Added capability to set active tab in site groups.
- Added capability to set search homepage accessible
from the search button on the standard toolbar.
Just drag the web page icon from the address bar
onto the search button.
- New feature: autocompletion based on search suggestions.
The option can be toggled in tools:options:misc,
"Enable Autocompletion based on search suggestions".
- Updated internal links to point to new online resource locations.
- Bug fix: quicksearch history not cleaned properly.
- Bug fix: browser still accessible from tray icon when locked.
- Bug fix: suggestion suggestion drop down not closing automatically
- Bug fix: Asian language search keywords not stored correctly
in search history.
- Bug fix: back-forward button not working for PDF page or
- Fixed bug about search suggestion result parsing with a few
- Fixed bug about file->open/save dialog not popping up
- Fixed bug about the history dropdown menu near the back & forward
buttons on the toolbar.
Build 013 and earlier
- Bug fix: popup blocker not working properly in IE6 or earlier.
- Fixed bug with scripting inside frames from a different domain.
The built-in form filler and keyword highlight tool is now
able to step into subframes from another domain.
- Included a larger predefined black list into universal url
- Added "Search in Current Site" into Edit menu.
- Added support for the prompting of search suggestions with
the quicksearch box.
- Fixed bug for google and babelfish translator.
- Bug fix: open multiple home pages when clicking the homepage
- New shortcut key: ctrl+T to create a new tab (ctrl+N still
works for the same purpose).
- Added support to clean history by a single domain name (accessible
from menu tools->privacy->clean trace by domain)
- Changed default scriptpad file type to jscript.
- Fixed bug with script pad when viewing html file source code.
Added file-type auto-detect capability.
- Added script error status indicator.
- Support up to 1024 autologin entries.
- Added spell check as toolbar button. You can customize the
toolbar to add this new button.
- Disabled activeX warning messages when activeX control is
- Fixed bug in mouse-clicking with long single-column favorites
- Add built-in form filler
- Add support of DDE when openning external links
- Add support for applying proxies to all protocols in the
- Add support for 1024 groups
- Misc bug fixes.
- Improved compatibility with Windows Vista User Account Control.
- On Windows Vista, skin will be stored in personal profile
if User Account Control is enabled.
- Fixed bug about weather information display
- Fixed an important bug which may crash SlimBrowser on some
- Fixed the bug about the downloading of language files under
(This ver has a serious bug, please update to later versions
- Added built-in crash reporting mechanism to aid debugging.
- Solved the display problem in Windows Vista when skin is
- Added support for zooming with ctrl+mouse wheel.
- Added support for IE7 page zoom as an option.
- Added wikipedia into quicksearch engine list.
- Added support for multiple start pages introduced in IE7.
- Fixed bug with taskbar display when skin is enabled.
- Fixed bug with adding rss url into favorites
- Added support for using different images for the maxmize/restore
button when the main window is maximized or in normal size.
Skin contributors may make use of this new feature.
- New feature: hide the entire browser and restore with a predefined
- New feature: search for keywords in favorites via the favorites
- New feature: search for keywords in history via the history
- Added support to run as mobile edition from a USB stick.
- Add Full Unicode Support on WinNT-based
- Language files are no longer included in the setup file.
They are updated online at first run after installation. You
can also download it manually by selecting "language->interface
language->download language files".
- Option to show close button on tabs. (option is located at
- Bug fix: 7+4 style zip code is now handled properly for location
- Bug fix: middle click to close tab for multiline tabs
- Bug fix: ctrl+tab now works properly with IE7
- The tabs can now be re-ordered by drag & drop.
- Add support to open .mht files from Windows Explorer
- Security fix: block script embedded in urls beginning with "about:"
- Revision: selecting "File:Close All"
won't close hidden sites unless shift is pressed.
- New feature: automatically lock browser after long-time idleness.
Accessible in the "Privacy"
page of the options dialog or via the menu item
- Add support for white-list with in-page ad filter.
- New feature: add "Find In Page" button on the quick-search
bar. You can use it to search for keywords in the current page.
Begin the search string with '/' for auto-search without clicking
the "Find In Page" button.
- Revision: autologin can be protected with the same master
password used for browser auto-locking. The master password
can be set via "tools:privacy:set master password".
- Build 025: fix bug about crash when closing some sites. updated
- Build 022: fix misc. bugs related with the new features introduced
- Added support for memorized zoom level of web pages
- Added support for displaying local weather condition in status
- Added ability to display popup window in their original size
(You need turn off the option "Always Maximize New Window" in
tools:options:new window). Also, all the site windows are able
to be restored and maximized independently.
- Revised popup blocker (applies to Windows XP SP2 users only).
Both popup window and popup dialogs are blocked effectively.
Blocked site windows are killed immediately now (In old versions,
popups are hidden first and killed after a short while).
- Added access to location specific web resources (weather,
maps and more to come later). Check the menus under tools:web
- Bug fix: when switching between sites, the entire Windows
- Fixed a couple of memory leaks
- Add icons into main menu
- Main menu, explorer bar and status bar are now skinnable.
Skin designers might want to update their skins to make full
of the new features. For more details, please visit this
- Fix of this bug: When you click the "Open Folder" button
when a file has been completely downloaded, the download dialog
can't be closed.
- Add option: confirm when you try to close all sites.
- Add option to lock homepage to a preset web address (Tools:Options:Misc)
- Add option to enable in-page ad-filter for all sites automatically
- Add support for open links inside MSN messenger within SlimBrowser
- Add support for alias in the dialog brought up by selecting "file->open"
- Add option whether to check default browser at startup (Tools:Options:Program)
- Add support to install a skin directly from web
- Bug fix: download file after SlimBrowser is closed
- Bug fix: wrong icon shown on system button when skin is enabled
- Support unicode label display on site tabs (only works under
Windows NT/2k/XP). SlimBrowser is now able to display text
in any language on the site tab.
- SlimBrowser now can be closed before a file is completely
- Add "Google Search Current Site" into the list
of predefined quicksearch engines.
- Bug fix: create association of .mht file with SlimBrowser
when you set SlimBrowser as default browser.
- Bug fix: Import/Export Favorites under Windows XP Sp2.
- Add option to set maximum tab label width in pixels (options->tab)
- Fix bug about keystroke handling in Flash ActiveX Control
- Add ability to open only selected members inside a site group.
Use menu "Groups->Open Members Inside Group" or
hold down SHIFT key when you open a group in the regular way.
- Add support for locking a tab from being closed when you
select "Close All". Use menu item "View->Lock
- Add ability to disable Microsoft Java VM so that newest version
of Sun Java VM can be enabled in SlimBrowser. Available at "Tools:Options:Misc:Disable
Microsoft Java Virtual Machine". If you have both MS JVM
and Sun JVM installed, you are advised to disable MS JVM. MS
JVM is no longer supported by Microsoft and will be outdated
- Bug fix: when you close the last visible site, the site goes
to blank but the navigation history was not cleared. Now the
history is also cleared.
- Newest version of google toolbar (V18.104.22.168) is not compatible
with SlimBrowser and has been temporarily disabled until we
can resolve this issue. Please use the Google search engine
on the QuickSearch bar instead.
- Fixed a bug about display of flash download control option.
- Feature revised: now in-page ad filter will only apply to
a selected list of sites.
- Add menu item "View->Privacy Report"
- Bug fix: Drag & drop URL from address bar to Windows
desktop or explorer.
- Add "open" button in the alias definition dialog.
You can also double click an alias to open it directly from
- Show "&" symbol correctly on tab
- More options added on "Tools->options->tab",
- Maximum tab label length in characters
- Maximum number of words shown in tab label
- Use automatic brief tab label
- Show assigned site name for matched URL
- Add support for Assigned Site Name (aka,
sticky tab name). Accessible from menu "tools->assigned
site names". You can also right click on a tab
and select "Assigned site names..."
- Add support for flexible update checking option (every run/day/week/month/quarter/never),
option to get notified of beta release, etc.
- Fixed the problem of too much disk access while SlimBrowser
- Add menu item "Autologin->Edit AutoLogin File".
- Updated RSS rendering engine
Fixed the bug that some rss news feeds that don't allow local
caching couldn't be rendered in SlimBrowser.
- Changed program icon to the following image: .
Be sure you can find it on your desktop. The icon may look
different under win9x, NT and 2k. Turn on the option "Show
icon using all possible colors" for best effect if you
are not using WinXP.
- Fixed a bug regarding the drop-down menu of web page editors