Web Browser Discussion - FlashPeak Online Forum

Web Browser Software Forum. Discuss FlashPeak software products: SlimBrowser, IntelliComplete, BlazeFtp, etc.
It is currently Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:12 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: New Window
PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 7:57 am 

Is it possible to open a web page in a new instance of SlimBrowser? Every page opens in the same browser instance. Does SlimBrowser support a startup command "-newwindow" like FireFox? Also, if the link in a web page has a target="xxx" in the href, why does SlimBrowser not open this link in a new instance?

Post subject: Re: New Window
PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 8:30 am 
Advanced Member

Why would you want to open a new instance instead of a new window? Image That doesn't make sense.

My Cardomain site, featuring my Ãœbercharged 1997 Mazda MiataImage

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 4:32 pm 

I also would like to launch instances. I happen to have three monitors and I would like to launch a separate browser onto each monitor. Is there a command line switch or some other way to launch multiple instances of SB? Thanks.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 3:55 am 
Advanced Member

Have you tried File > New Browser?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 10:07 am 

I am aware of File->New Browser but what I would really like to do is on Startup, launch multiple copies of SB and have each instance open a specific group. For example, launch a "News Group" in one instance, a "Sports Group" in another instance and a "Weather Group" in a third instance. All you need is a -newwindow switch and the ability to pass a start page or group on the command line. For example, to open the "Sports Group" : Slimbrowser -newwindow sports.sgp

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 1:16 pm 

I hope I am on the correct thread-- which seems to have gone unanswered.

I am looking for an alternative Trident browser to replace IE. Currently, I am looking at SlimBrowser. It has features that are similar to the Classic Maxthon which I so miss. At any rate, my concern and a deal breaker is that I need to have multiple separate instances of SB.

I utilize a utility called DEXPOT http://dexpot.de/ which allows me to run multiple desktops simultaneously and allows for hotkeys to access them. I am able to configure where specific apps appear such as on all desktops, on a specific desktop or where launched.

Additionally, I use another utility: HotKeyz (described here: http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/hotkeyz.html) The combination of these two utils allows me to switch desktops and launch programs without needing the mouse. Obviously, I use DEXPOT for various projects on specific desktops (currently, I am running seven desktops.)

Perhaps I have provided more info than necessary. At first blush, it would appear that it is NOT possible to launch more than one instance of SB. Is that so or am I missing something?

Thanks!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 6:34 pm 
Advanced Member

Slimbrowser is a Trident Shell

It is capable of running as many instances of the Browser as you have memory to support it. As already posted in a reply it is possible to make this happen by using File:New Browser, it can also be done using the keyboard Ctrl-N. A third way is with a command line switch. Here is the information from the Slimbrowser Help file about switches.

SlimBrowser supports the following command line syntax:

sbframe.exe [switches] URL

-ni
Open a new instance of SlimBrowser. Without this option, SlimBrowser will pass the URL to an existing instance of SlimBrowser if another instance of SlimBrowser is already open.

-nosp
SlimBrowser will not open any start up pages or groups, including your homepage, in this session.

-fs
SlimBrowser will start in full screen mode.

Relationships are ours to make; we define them, day by day,
by who we choose to love and how we choose to love them.
And, by these choices, define ourselves. ~~~Richard N. Patterson

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 1:26 pm 

Thank you for your timely response!

I added the -nl switch to my HotKeyz Parameters tab for the SB hotkey and that solved my problem. I now realize that I could / should have researched this solution using the online help section. Now that I realize that SB will meet my minimum requirements, I will investigate SB's further abilities aggressively. Hopefully, this will be my replacement for IE 11 which has been driving me nuts with random auto-scrolling.

Thanks again for you help and certainly for your patience!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 2:24 am 

I happen to have three monitors and I would like to launch a separate browser onto each monitor. Is there a command line switch or some other way to launch multiple instances of SB? Thanks.