Web Browser Discussion - FlashPeak Online Forum

Web Browser Software Forum. Discuss FlashPeak software products: SlimBrowser, IntelliComplete, BlazeFtp, etc.
It is currently Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:52 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Tear-off tabs please!!!
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:28 am 
Advanced Member

At 4 seconds in this video...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHM3JidQP-4

/beg

/grovel

/plead

This is one of the last features that EVERY major browser still has over Slimbrowser.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:40 am 
Advanced Member

if they choose to do this it will not happen overnight as it will require extensive code change to both the SB execution files.

Relationships are ours to make; we define them, day by day,
by who we choose to love and how we choose to love them.
And, by these choices, define ourselves. ~~~Richard N. Patterson

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 12:04 pm 
Advanced Member

Why you want to tear off the tab? If you want to tile two tabs side by side, you can use the menu "Window->Tile Selected Windows" to do that.
I understand the tear off feature is still useful for people who want to move the tab into another separate main window for grouping purpose. But up to date, this is actually only the first request I've received the tear-off feature. I can add it into the to-do list anyway as a low priority item.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:28 am 
Advanced Member

I use Window\Tile Vertically and Horizontally EVERY DAY, (hotkeys for this would rock) and is one of the main features stock in SB that I have to find plug ins for FF and Chrome. (plug-ins = blah)

I am a developer and having multiple browser instances open is just normal daily workflow.

The reason Tear off tabs are also very useful are for people who use multiple monitors.

I run 2 monitors on my laptop at home, 2 monitors at work, and I run 3 monitors on my home desktop system.

It is quick and intuitive to tear off a tab and throw it quickly to another monitor, or to another browser instance. I do this many times a day for a number of reasons. This is one feature I have to defer to Chrome for when I am working or doing college homework.

For example: I ususally have one browser dedicated to in-house communication such as e-mail, chat, also daily project lists etc.. and another browser instance with code or CMS systems, and another browser for testing or google reference. This varies greatly from day to day.

The point is - it helps greatly to group certain tasks (as you said) in their own instance rather than one browser with two dozen tabs particularly when combined with multiple monitor use.

Tear off tabs offer the flexibity to group tabs quickly.

As it stands now, the only way to do this is ctrl+n and copy paste the URL. (workable, but not optimal)

Multiple monitor setups are very commonplace nowdays, and I bet I'm not the only one around who utilizes the extra desktop real estate for many browser windows. =)

Besides, as I said above, all the other major browsers are doing it, why not add it to the BEST browser? 8)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:03 pm 
Advanced Member

if your working with multiple monitors and have an instance of SB open on more than one monitor you can copy an URL into clipboard using one instance of SB and make the next instance on the other monitor the focus and press CTRL+SHIFT+N and it should open the URL in the second instance on the other monitor. Perhaps this saves a step for you?

Relationships are ours to make; we define them, day by day,
by who we choose to love and how we choose to love them.
And, by these choices, define ourselves. ~~~Richard N. Patterson

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:23 pm 
Advanced Member

@ oftentired

Yes! CTRL+SHIFT+N on focused browser is a good shortcut, thanks I did not know that key combo. =) - I see it now as "paste-&-go"

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:58 am 

Raa'Kaan wrote:
This is one of the last features that EVERY major browser still has over Slimbrowser.

Gotta agree with that! Every other major browser has tear off tabs. It would be fantastic if SB and SlimBoat (SBT?) can get this feature.

And also, of course, be able to select only certain tabs out of all current tabs, and drag all selected tabs out into a new window.