Product Home comment

General discussion about SlimBrowser or general issues about web browser software

Moderator: SlimBrowser Forum Moderators

oftentired
Advanced Member

Product Home comment

Post by oftentired » Sat Jul 10, 2010 6:11 pm

I like the new look of the Product Home webpage and choice of Icon. However, it invokes one of my pet peeves.

When I load the page it fails to resize in the browser left <─> right making it necessary to use the bottom scrollbar to see the content of the page on the right side. And I have to scroll back to the left if I want to see that.

I attached a screenshot.

EssBeeman
Advanced Member

Re: Product Home comment

Post by EssBeeman » Sun Jul 11, 2010 3:09 am

I get the same on my 1024x768 res. screen. I guess it might have been designed on a higher res. screen and not for the more common 1024x768, not good if that's what it is!
BTW a bit OT but are you finding this forum very slow when entering or replying to posts?

oftentired
Advanced Member

Post by oftentired » Sun Jul 11, 2010 10:43 am

EssBeeman wrote:I get the same on my 1024x768 res. screen. I guess it might have been designed on a higher res. screen and not for the more common 1024x768, not good if that's what it is!
I'm running my resolution at 1024X768 which seems to work best for my eyeballs.
EssBeeman wrote:BTW a bit OT but are you finding this forum very slow when entering or replying to posts?
When I make reply to a post I would estimate about 70% of the time the forum response is slightly faster than molasses on a cold day. The rest of the time it moves along OK but still not so fast that I would brag about it. .... Took about 20 seconds for this reply to come back accomplished.
Slimbrowser Demo Videos

Relationships are ours to make; we define them, day by day,
by who we choose to love and how we choose to love them.
And, by these choices, define ourselves. ~~~Richard N. Patterson

EssBeeman
Advanced Member

Post by EssBeeman » Sun Jul 11, 2010 11:01 am

oftentired wrote:When I make reply to a post I would estimate about 70% of the time the forum response is slightly faster than molasses on a cold day. The rest of the time it moves along OK but still not so fast that I would brag about it. .... Took about 20 seconds for this reply to come back accomplished.
Yeah, perhaps the DB needs reorganizing!

EDIT: Just timed the SUBMIT and it took 32 seconds!!

flashpeak
Advanced Member

Post by flashpeak » Fri Jul 30, 2010 2:47 pm

The webpage width is exactly 1024. I guess i can make it a a little smaller so that you don't have to scroll.
I also found the forum is slow when posting. I will look into it.
Stephen Cheng
FlashPeak Support
Email: support AT flashpeak.com

EssBeeman
Advanced Member

Post by EssBeeman » Fri Jul 30, 2010 3:30 pm

flashpeak wrote:The webpage width is exactly 1024. ...
I'm surprised about that, have you allowed for the vertical scrollbar? Even that wouldn't really account for the large horizontal scroll that's needed to see all the page. Out of curiosity, what resolution are you designing the page on?
BTW both the Preview and Submit still taking ages to do.

flashpeak
Advanced Member

Post by flashpeak » Fri Jul 30, 2010 5:14 pm

I have a 1920x1080 monitor here. :)
I have reduced the width of the web pages to 980. I hope that will be better for you.

Right now, I don't know what makes the forum so slow to post. I pruned posts more than one year old, and recreated the search index. No help at all. It takes about 10 seconds for me to make a post.
EssBeeman wrote:
flashpeak wrote:The webpage width is exactly 1024. ...
I'm surprised about that, have you allowed for the vertical scrollbar? Even that wouldn't really account for the large horizontal scroll that's needed to see all the page. Out of curiosity, what resolution are you designing the page on?
BTW both the Preview and Submit still taking ages to do.
Stephen Cheng
FlashPeak Support

flashpeak
Advanced Member

Post by flashpeak » Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:51 pm

The slow-posting problem has been traced back to the option of checking user IP against a DNSBL blacklist (apparently an online service which takes time to access). After that option is disabled, posting is lightning fast again. Thank god! That definitely made my day.
Stephen Cheng
FlashPeak Support

EssBeeman
Advanced Member

Post by EssBeeman » Sat Jul 31, 2010 2:34 am

The website's a lot better now. All the objects can now be seen without having to use the horizontal scroll bar. However, the horizontal scroll bar is still showing. It's as if there's an invisible object on the right side somewhere.

EDIT: Ah, that's better, no more slow response.

oftentired
Advanced Member

Post by oftentired » Sat Jul 31, 2010 9:34 pm

flashpeak wrote:The slow-posting problem has been traced back to the option of checking user IP against a DNSBL blacklist (apparently an online service which takes time to access). After that option is disabled, posting is lightning fast again. Thank god! That definitely made my day.
Not it is lightning fast. I for one am addicted to instant online gratification. Waiting 10 or more seconds for any webpage takes me back to the days of dial-up modem and having time to read a chapter in a book waiting for a webpage to load.
Slimbrowser Demo Videos

flashpeak
Advanced Member

Post by flashpeak » Sun Aug 01, 2010 11:35 am

Does it still take more than 10 seconds for you? It takes less than one second here.
oftentired wrote:
flashpeak wrote:The slow-posting problem has been traced back to the option of checking user IP against a DNSBL blacklist (apparently an online service which takes time to access). After that option is disabled, posting is lightning fast again. Thank god! That definitely made my day.
Not it is lightning fast. I for one am addicted to instant online gratification. Waiting 10 or more seconds for any webpage takes me back to the days of dial-up modem and having time to read a chapter in a book waiting for a webpage to load.
Stephen Cheng
FlashPeak Support

EssBeeman
Advanced Member

Post by EssBeeman » Sun Aug 01, 2010 12:53 pm

I guess he meant Now not Not :D (I may be wrong).

EDIT: Yes, it is fast now.

oftentired
Advanced Member

Post by oftentired » Sun Aug 01, 2010 3:31 pm

flashpeak wrote:Does it still take more than 10 seconds for you? It takes less than one second here.
oftentired wrote:
No. EssBeeman is right; it should read "Now"
EssBeeman wrote:I guess he meant Now not Not :D (I may be wrong).
Yeah I typo'd at work. For some reason I make more typing errors at work than anywhere else I may be.
Slimbrowser Demo Videos

vertosto

Post by vertosto » Fri Sep 03, 2010 5:56 am

mmm....interesting thread, thanks for info