Certain sites bring SB to a crawl

SlimBrowser bug reports

Moderator: SlimBrowser Forum Moderators

BobH

Re: Certain sites bring SB to a crawl

Post by BobH » Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:37 pm

I have had the same problem too... maybe for a month or more. I can't pin down the problem (but it seems to occur with sites heavily laden with javascript or ajax). I installed the latest flash player - no help. I also fooled with the download controls and found that didn't solve the problem. I've been using slimbrowser for years (and sent a lot of visitors over from my site http://www.shellcity.net . This is the first real problem I've had, and it's definitely a nuisance. I watch the resource usage meter rise to 100%, and I'm helpless to do anything else until SB finishes whater process causes the issue, frozen out.....

BobH

Post by BobH » Tue Jul 15, 2008 5:37 pm

just to clarify - it occurs not just when a link is clicked to open a page, but also when an ajax link is clicked to display info -- for example, on this page:

http://tvlistings.aol.com/listings/mo/s ... 9&tab=grid

if you click on any of the tv listings, a description of that particular listing appears. But that click triggers 100% resource usage. Happens in SB, not FF or IE.

BobH

Post by BobH » Tue Jul 15, 2008 5:48 pm

Disabling activeX control universally (in the Options menu) does seem to help

Hans
Advanced Member

Post by Hans » Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:44 am

BobH wrote:just to clarify - it occurs not just when a link is clicked to open a page, but also when an ajax link is clicked to display info -- for example, on this page:

http://tvlistings.aol.com/listings/mo/s ... 9&tab=grid

if you click on any of the tv listings, a description of that particular listing appears. But that click triggers 100% resource usage. Happens in SB, not FF or IE.
I just visited that URL on THREE different computers. One XP Pro SP3, one Vista Ultimate SP1, and one XP Pro SP2. None of them exceeded 10% CPU usage when clicking any of the TV listings, which popped up immediately. Image

I used Process Explorer 11.20 to watch the CPU and application usage.

Question: do you have Internet Explorer 7 installed, and if so, do you have the Phishing Filter turned on? I've found that tends to cause a LOT of problems, and recommend disabling it (it's worth than useless 99.8% of the time.) Install Haute Secure instead, which does a much better job and has a very low memory footprint.

BobH

Post by BobH » Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:33 pm

I'm still using IE 6. and Slimbrowser 4.10, build 015

Hans
Advanced Member

Post by Hans » Sun Jul 20, 2008 9:12 am

Try upgrading to IE7, see what the results are. You can always uninstall IE7 if you don't see any changes.

BobH

Post by BobH » Thu Jul 24, 2008 10:41 pm

I'm not quite ready to do that. I stay one version behind Mictosoft.

What I have done though is install version 3.98 of Slimbrowser over version 4.10. I need to give it some time to see if the problem occurs with this build. But I'll report back to you.

Hans
Advanced Member

Post by Hans » Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:52 am

IE7 is a considerable improvement over IE6, which itself is plauged with bugs and issues. :? IE7 has been out for quite some time now, and IE8 is expected to be released within ~6 months or so (give or take a year or two, knowing Microsoft.)

I would still recommend upgrading to IE7, as you can always uninstall it and go back to IE6 if you feel the need to.

Pugwash

Post by Pugwash » Fri Jul 25, 2008 2:53 pm

I have also had this problem for 2 - 3 days now, and have been forced to use IE7, which has no trouble.
It's a confounded nuisance, because I liked Slimbrowser when it worked, and like many others have to give it up now.

... and no, it has nothing to do with toolbars or other add-ons, which I don't use or want, or flash. I have uninstalled and re-installed Slimbrowser to no effect. Also nothing to do with MS updates, since I've had them turned off since the XP SP# fiasco.

Whatever is stopping SB is unique to SB.

I would suggest having a look at that DNS fix that a lot of ISP have implimented lately. (2 - 3 days ago)

Hans
Advanced Member

Post by Hans » Sat Jul 26, 2008 9:34 am

Pugwash wrote:... and no, it has nothing to do with toolbars or other add-ons, which I don't use or want, or flash. I have uninstalled and re-installed Slimbrowser to no effect. Also nothing to do with MS updates, since I've had them turned off since the XP SP# fiasco.

Whatever is stopping SB is unique to SB.
If that were the case, it would be happening to a LOT more people. It's not. Occam's Razor therefore dictates that it is not the application, but something with the underlying OS interfering with the application. There are a LOT of factors that could cause this, such as the aforementioned toolbars, updates, corrupted registry entries, orphaned fragments on the hard drive, or any number of other things unique to the individual computer causing the problem.
Pugwash wrote:... I would suggest having a look at that DNS fix that a lot of ISP have implimented lately. (2 - 3 days ago)
You JUST said, and I quote, "Whatever is stopping SB is unique to SB." So what would a "DNS fix" have to do with SB? :?

I've installed SlimBrowser on - literally - HUNDREDS of computers. Not a single one has ever experienced this issue. I'm unable to duplicate the problem under any circumstances, as is Stephen.

Simply put, the problem is NOT with SlimBrowser, nor is there anything Stephen can do about it as such. Image

OK, here's what I want anyone having this problem to do:

1. Download, install, and run TrendMicroâ„¢ HijackThisâ„¢ 2.0.2 (Alternate download from c|net)

2. Save the log file, then copy and paste the contents of it here.

Perhaps there is something in there that will give us an indication as to why you're having this problem.

BobH

Post by BobH » Sat Jul 26, 2008 5:02 pm

Hans, I love ya, and I defer to you in all things regarding Slimbrowser. You know it better than anyone else, BUT the earlier version I've been using does not seem to have the problem. May I suggest those having the problem download version 3.98 and double check me on this (since I've made some other changes to my system as well, which didn't seem to help, so I don't want to confuse the issues here with them). Those with the problem can download earlier versions from here:

http://www.flashpeak.com/sbrowser/whatisnew.htm

My experience was that the earlier version can just be installed on top of the newer, so no uninstall is necessary. Let's just try this out....

Hans
Advanced Member

Post by Hans » Sat Jul 26, 2008 6:26 pm

The thing is, if it's really related to the app and more specifically, to the latest version, then more people would be experiencing the issue. But that's not the case. We need to identify what's causing the problem, and going back to a previous version (which has several known issues) isn't really a good solution. Image

I'd really like to see a HiJack This log from someone who's experiencing the issue, so that I can possibly identify what's going on.

BobH

Post by BobH » Sat Jul 26, 2008 9:17 pm

then more people would be experiencing the issue. But that's not the case
Maybe - but it's not a matter of the browser not working. It's a matter of performance, and the problem occurs only intermittently (well, always for me with the same pages, but not every page). So many users might consider it minor enough that they won't complain. I lived with it for a while before I started search ing for a solution. Also, my experience at Daily Rotation is that even with a very serious problem, only a very very small percentage of users will take the time to complain. Not saying you're wrong, just that there may be other factors at work here....

Pugwash

Post by Pugwash » Sun Jul 27, 2008 5:49 am

May I suggest those having the problem download version 3.98
Yup, 3.98 works fine.

Hans
Advanced Member

Post by Hans » Sun Jul 27, 2008 6:51 am

The point is, we need to identify WHAT is causing the problem. I know *I* have personally tried to make this happen on at LEAST 10 machines, all different OS/configurations/etc. I have not been able to do so one single time.

Saying it "only happens intermittently", then advising to downgrade to 3.98, which then "works", is flawed logic.

The only way to determine what is causing this is for someone who has the problem to take a snapshot of their system when the problem is happening. Ideally, a VM snapshot, but that'd be too large a file of course. So, a Hijack this log file would suffice, as it will tell me exactly what's loaded, what's running, and basically what's going on at the time.