Certain sites bring SB to a crawl

SlimBrowser bug reports

Moderator: SlimBrowser Forum Moderators

Drugwash

Re: Certain sites bring SB to a crawl

Post by Drugwash » Sun Sep 28, 2008 11:30 am

It's worth checking/fixing/updating any Java version as well as Flash. For best results, uninstall old version (for Flash there's an uninstall tool on Adobe's site) and only then install a new version.

Hans, sorry to hear about your mishappenings. Hopefully things will go back to normal a.s.a.p. Wish you good health!

BobH

Post by BobH » Mon Oct 13, 2008 12:53 pm

OK, I've got what I think is good news to report. I believe the culprit is Spybot Search and Destroy, and particularly the Resident elements -- tea timer, etc. I uninstalled them a few days ago, and I think the problem is gone. Would those others having the slowdown problem please post whether you are using Spybot or not?

Hans, if you want to test this, note that the problem doesn't show up immediately, but rather after you've been using the browser (fairly intensively) for a few hours -- sorry, hard to test, but I think that's what's made the problem seem intermittent to users.

Now I guess my conclusion is not final, because the problem could be a combination -- spybot + java, Spybot + flash, etc. But removing Spybot seems to solve it. I'm continuing to test, so we'll see. I note that Process explorer shows Slimbrowser hogging the resources during slowdowns, not Spybot, so there may be more to say on that front too.

Hans
Advanced Member

Post by Hans » Wed Oct 15, 2008 7:51 pm

While I use SpyBot, I do not use any of the resident "features" it has, because of known issues with them. I'll check it out and see if I can duplicate it when they're enabled.

I've noticed that SlimBrowser still seems to have a memory leak, and doesn't release resources when tabs are closed, even with the latest version, so it's entirely possible that TeaTimer is conflicting when resource usage gets too high.

Drugwash

Post by Drugwash » Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:00 am

Apparently resources are only released when SB is closed completely. Also, I hope for it to be only a concidence but ever since upgrading to the latest stable I've had a few freezes, where the page would be stuck somewhere on route, with no timeout and no possibility to abort, close the tab or the whole browser. Only solution was a process kill.

During freezes, the mouse cursor appeared to interact with the content (changed to beam or hand on certain elements) but clicks were completely ineffective as if focus was permanently stolen by a hidden element. I believe there was no dialog behind the main window as it used to happen in other occasions.

I'm not using Spybot or any other resident applications that could interfere. Running Win98SE.

Pugwash

Post by Pugwash » Sat Oct 25, 2008 11:21 am

I've noticed that SlimBrowser still seems to have a memory leak, and doesn't release resources when tabs are closed, even with the latest version, so it's entirely possible that TeaTimer is conflicting when resource usage gets too high.

I can confirm that, SB holds up about 500MB on this machine. Nothing to do with TeaTimer either. IE does release resources.

ahopkinsjr

Post by ahopkinsjr » Sun Oct 26, 2008 8:35 am

Pugwash wrote:I've noticed that SlimBrowser still seems to have a memory leak, and doesn't release resources when tabs are closed, even with the latest version, so it's entirely possible that TeaTimer is conflicting when resource usage gets too high.

I can confirm that, SB holds up about 500MB on this machine. Nothing to do with TeaTimer either. IE does release resources.
I, too, can confirm that SB holds up about 500MB on my machine and no matter how many tabs I add or more importantly remove, the amount of memory remains unchanged.

BobH

Post by BobH » Sun Oct 26, 2008 5:47 pm

Well Hans, what about the memory leak? Do you expect to be able to track it down soon?

Hans
Advanced Member

Post by Hans » Wed Oct 29, 2008 5:46 pm

Well, truth be told, since I'm not a developer for SlimBrowser, I can't really "track it down", but as others confirm what I'm seeing, I can report it to Stephen.

Drugwash

Post by Drugwash » Wed Nov 12, 2008 11:09 am

I'm not sure if it fits this topic but I'll just drop it here:

(Windows 98SE, IE6-SP1, Sun Java 1.6.0 update7 - this combination has been working fine before the following issues emerged)

• Since updating to 4.11.xxx versions (betas and stable), SlimBrowser is randomly freezing with CPU at 100%. I just can't put the finger on the issue, but my gut says it may be GMail's fault, since I always have it open (usually in first tab) and it's script seems to be pretty complex.

I must mention I have chat enabled in my GMail options and occasionally I notice the chat contacts frame gets stuck for seconds/minutes and then comes back to normal. Dunno how to debug this. :(

• Also, unrelated (I guess), on certain pages (most notably in my account on myYearbook.com, in the Vote requests window), any gif animation slows the page loading down significantly.

In-page filter is enabled for all sites, at load time, for banners only and is set to delete (not hide). Occasionally it does hide certain pictures in the page that are not in a banner form (sometimes they may be displayed on a page refresh).

• Related to page refresh: also after updating to 4.11.xxx versions, movie details pages at imdb.com are displayed abnormally, text missing or only first character of a word/title is displayed, paragraphs are screwed up. A page refresh usually fixes the issue, but that has to be done for each page, everytime. I'm not sure what exactly could lead to such behavior.

Wrong -> Image OK -> Image

ratzefumm

Post by ratzefumm » Sat Nov 22, 2008 8:11 am

SlimBrowser is randomly freezing with CPU at 100%
seems to occure when page autorefresh (120sec) is active. only from time to time.
could not locate it exactly.

Drugwash

Post by Drugwash » Sat Nov 22, 2008 4:34 pm

Personally I have no auto-refresh set so can't confirm. However, after updating to 4.11.017, I haven't had any freezing anymore, knock on wood.

johnadaniels

Post by johnadaniels » Sun Nov 23, 2008 11:53 am

SlimBrowser is the best tabbed browser on the market, I have tried them all.

Slimbrowser does have an issue with freezing tabs. This is caused by java script loading. Some pages are written for the java script to finish loading before the page is released.

Here is a real world test that will prove to anyone that SB will freeze or pause until sites are loaded.

1) Go to http://www.digg.com
2) Start opening the Comments below each article in new windows (open 6 to 10 as fast as you can)
3) The larger the comments the better
4) You will notice as the tabs are loading the pages, SlimBrowser will pause or freeze

I am pretty sure this has something to do with java script. Amazon also exhibits this behaviour.

Hope this helps.

marcdw
Advanced Member

Post by marcdw » Wed Nov 26, 2008 12:49 am

Heh, I barely made it to four new tabs before it all started to bog down. Trying a few more after that didn't fare too well.
After about 6 or 7, with the last two not yet fully loaded I tried to click on the tab's little X to close them.
They wouldn't close and CPU usage was tops. After awhile the not-yet-finished-loading tabs closed and then the others closed okay
but cpu usage was hight until all the digg tabs were closed.

That reminds me. I never go to MySpace because that place just seems to bring my browser to a near halt.

Marc

BobH

Post by BobH » Thu Dec 04, 2008 9:44 pm

So what's the word on fixing that memory leak, Hans? I've come to the conclusion that's central to the problem....

johnadaniels

Post by johnadaniels » Sun Dec 07, 2008 9:38 am

Hello,

Here is another site: http://www.toysrus.com/shop/index.jsp?c ... Id=2255956

It really seems like sites that use Java or JSP pages cause the freeze issue.