Certain sites bring SB to a crawl

SlimBrowser bug reports

Moderator: SlimBrowser Forum Moderators

btamxx

Re: Certain sites bring SB to a crawl

Post by btamxx » Sun Dec 21, 2008 5:47 pm

I have been using SB for years and spurn all other browsers, making my wife extremely unhappy. (A fire fox user). :? Because I love and trust SB so much, I have been feuding with my ISP over slow and jerky download speeds as measured with speakeasy and several other speed tests. I simply have had so much success and good experience with SB I never questioned it. One day while running SB downloading or browsing, I had my system monitor up and I noticed that SB was hogging nearly all of the CPU which in my case is plenty. I also have 1 GB ram. I had the monitor display sorted by CPU usage and SB was taking as much as 91% of the CPU while loading a web site, and the loading even paused for several seconds before finishing. As well, the page display was very jerky with these pauses. Like many here, I quickly accused the web sites, pages, and even the connection, so I tried it on many different sites and pages. Nearly the same occurred on most every page. SB hogged the CPU and the performance is very poor. I even changed the priority on SB to below normal and then to above normal. SB still takes up most of the CPU in either mode proving that there are no other processes using much CPU. Running several speed tests the same things happen. After years of believing in SB, my wife finally got me to try FF. I noticed immediately that FF took little CPU time (3-15%) and the browsing and speed tests were very smooth, fast, and without any jerky stops and starts. Dumbfounded, I then tried IE, which I really hate. The results were the same as FF, very good, fast and smooth. So I started working with FF and IE alternately and found that both performed far better than SB, regardless of which web site I used, or whatever I downloaded.

Then I thought that perhaps SB had been damaged some how or perhaps an add-in had caused the problem, so I tried to remove all addins. But to my chagrin, the plugins tool bar did nothing when clicked. So I then decided to try uninstalling SB and making a new install. This should have no pesky plugins/addons to trouble it. So I uninstalled it, ran RegCure (I know, some of you prefer other software, but this has always served me well) to remove more leftover entries (there were many) and then using RegMagic I scanned the entire registry looking for SB entries. Having found about 12 more, I then eliminated them as well as deleting the SB folder in "Program Files" directory. I now have a system with no part of SB installed except for some POSSIBLE??? changes to system files in the Windows directory that SB may have made. BTW, I also cleared all cookies and cache including the temporary Internet files directory. I also eliminated the firewall and antivirus software from being the problem by eliminating their startups in services and all other startup locations. As well, I eliminated ALL non essential software from starting up so there could be absolutel no other hinderences to SB in either the install or run mode.

Then I downloaded the latest SB install files and installed it. I have not changed any tool bars or made any other changes to any option that might slow it down. I have a totally vanilla install just exactly the way Flashpeak meant for it to be.

Now having a totally fresh and clean install of SB with NO added plugins/addins and NO other non-system software running, I started the same test procedures again. I get exactly the same results regardless of what web pages/sites I browse, and regardless of which speed test I use. I do however, prefer speakeasy’s speed test because it (and others) allow you to test from several different locations in the US in case it could be the backbone from that section of the country. (PS: The plug-in toolbar still does nothing when I click on it). According to one poster, I went into options and un-clicked everything In the downloads section. Still no joy.

According to another poster, I went into download control and un-checked everything there. Still no joy.

Ok! So perhaps it is my Opsys that is the problem, or even possibly my hardware. (I really do want to believe it is not SB). A few short weeks ago, I bought my wife a new Acer One netbook, at 1.6 Ghz. with 1 Gb ram. She hasn’t had it long enough to mess up the Windows XP Home system yet, so I asked her to install SB and run it through the mill. She agreed as long as she didn’t have to use it forever.J We ran the same tests as on my computer with the same results.

I have noticed that even though the speed tests show very jerky downloads and even long pauses/interruptions of the download, these problems do not seem to affect the download speed results. This leads me to believe that it is not the web pages or any downloading action that is causing the problem. It has to be that SB is not performing well at the CPU level. If the jerky downloads and the pauses during the downloads do not affect the speed test download results, (which they don’t) then it is NOT a download problem, it is a software execution problem inside of SB itself.

Having read nearly every post in this thread and eliminating every possible problem mentioned as well as my own efforts to eliminate other possible problems, I am absolutely sure that this is none other than an SB problem. No, I can’t explain why some of you don’t have problems, but there are more on this thread that do have the problem than don’t. I am also sure that there are many people who try SB and DON’T even know about this forum. These people simply abandon SB without ever worrying about any bug fixes, or what the problem may be. They will try another browser, get the results they want, and kiss SB off forever leaving a bad taste in their mouth, informing their circle of influence to run from SB as fast as they can. There are also many users of SB that simply believe like me, that it is an internet problem. With poor performance, most people using only SB will have a tendency to blame slow servers or a slow Internet.

Someone said that is it nearly impossible to fix a problem that can’t be duplicated. Having been a software engineer for over 40 years and running my own corp. for 21 of those years, I know this to be true. When I had a customer with a problem I couldn’t duplicate, I tried everything possible including making code changes for the purpose of debugging and sending them to the user by modem just to find the problem on their system. But then I could afford to since my package started at $90,000.00 and went up to as high as $2,000,000.00. I would even fly to my customers site and experience the problem myself just so I could make a happy customer. Now I know that this is totally impossible for Flashpeak to do limited by the price of the software (none) but it does point out the problem. There are enough users out here who are experiencing the problem to know that these problems are affecting Flashpeaks reputation and someday, their income. Many of us are very experienced users and more. The problem is not being solved even with the collaboration of all these great minds. Something is really amiss here, and if I were Flashpeak, I would not want this thing hanging around my neck like a dead Albatross.

I notice that this discussion has been ongoing since May 20, 2008. I also see a lot of users having the same problems. I also see that the SB moderators are offering the same excuses to nearly every user with the problem. As far as I know, I have eliminated any and all excuses that anyone can make, that the problem is not within SB. It absolutely is an SB problem. I also notice that the SB moderators are refusing to accept that this is a SB problem and are totally ignoring the problems their users are reporting, blaming the problems on everything else they can think of.

If this is the kind of “point the finger at something else” support then I will be forced to junk SB for (shudder) FF. I definitely won’t use IE. There are a few other browsers available such as Goggles new browser and other Mozilla open browsers as well. I really do hate to leave SB. It is one of the most feature rich software I have seen, but this problem is a real killer. I especially hate the fact that I have been looking everywhere else for my problem when it is really one of my most trusted programs that is truly at fault.

I truly hope that I am wrong. I really want SB to work as well as the other browsers I have tried. I will be glad to admit my error and apologize, I just want SB to work.

Drugwash

Post by Drugwash » Mon Dec 22, 2008 2:49 pm

Believe it or not, I took the time to fully read your above lengthy post. One thing I didn't see is any mention of you having tried the few beta versions that have been released in quite a short time recently.

Personally I can confirm that certain lock-ups have dissapeared for me since a couple minor versions ago. And please note that it is possible that even with new build notifications enabled, SB may not flag a new release (happened to me, may be a Win9x issue or not).

So please make sure you enabled the beta notifications and try to check the release and beta downloads every once in a while. Also please take into account any extra packages you may have installed, such as Java. Last but not least, be aware that Microsoft's XP Service Pack 3 is a troublemaker and may have a role in SB's malfunctioning.

btamxx

Post by btamxx » Tue Dec 23, 2008 2:45 pm

Drugwash wrote:Believe it or not, I took the time to fully read your above lengthy post. One thing I didn't see is any mention of you having tried the few beta versions that have been released in quite a short time recently.

Personally I can confirm that certain lock-ups have dissapeared for me since a couple minor versions ago. And please note that it is possible that even with new build notifications enabled, SB may not flag a new release (happened to me, may be a Win9x issue or not).

So please make sure you enabled the beta notifications and try to check the release and beta downloads every once in a while. Also please take into account any extra packages you may have installed, such as Java. Last but not least, be aware that Microsoft's XP Service Pack 3 is a troublemaker and may have a role in SB's malfunctioning.
Thanks for reading it. It is long only because I wanted to make it clear to all that I really have tried everything. In my business, I was also the head diagnostician. If anyone was having a problem they called me.

To answer your question, I have only used the latest releases. As I mentioned about re-installing, I only downloaded the latest version on the site. But I do not think it was a beta version. Actually, it is version 4.11 build 025(Unicode). As far as extra packages, I have turned everything off that could affect CPU problems such as scripts, download images in pages, and everything in the download options. I did not turn off Java, but the problem doesn't seem to care whether the page uses java or not. I have a small utility which allows me to control which packages, utilities, and such are started during boot and logging in. It's great in that it keeps track of what you had turned on so that you can quickly and easily set things back when you get through. I am sure there are others out there that do the same thing or better, but this one works for me. If your interested, it is freeware. I have also leaned down the services that boot to a bare minimum as well. Still no joy.

As I noted in my lengthy post, I have tried all of these diagnostics using IE and FF as control agents. I know that FF works differently than IE and SB, but if I understand it correctly, SB is IE based and should at least respond as well as IE. But IE uses about half to a third of the CPU cycles to obtain better performance. That proves to me that the settings that are common to both, such as the Windows Internet Options, cannot be responsible. Therefore, only the settings found in SB options can be of any affect. Correct me if I am wrong.

Regarding SP3, I tried that. I was one of the unfortunates that had to do a total rebuild. Never again, thanks.

I will try the latest Beta release with 'baited breath' and report back. At this stage I will try anything anybody suggests.

Hans, I assume from these posts, that you are the creator of SB. If so, I admire your work on SB and I thank you for making one of the best browsers on the web. I only wish that you had the marketing and exposure that FF gained. I was really disappointed when everyone started touting FF. I felt that you got the short end of that stick.

However, there are a lot of very intelligent people on this thread and we can't all be wrong. VNC is a great utility that will allow anyone to log onto any computer running VNC host, and allow them to take control of the host. As well, anyone can send a request for help through Windows help and do the same thing. I know that you can't duplicate the problem on your own systems, but the problem exists and is real. Perhaps you might log onto one of these computers and have a look around. That would be one way of duplicating the problem and seeing first hand. I would be willing to allow you into mine so long as any changes you want to make are not permanent. Just a thought.

Hans
Advanced Member

Post by Hans » Wed Dec 24, 2008 9:36 am

btamxx wrote:...Hans, I assume from these posts, that you are the creator of SB. If so, I admire your work on SB and I thank you for making one of the best browsers on the web. I only wish that you had the marketing and exposure that FF gained. I was really disappointed when everyone started touting FF. I felt that you got the short end of that stick.
That would be incorrect. Image I am simply a moderator here. Stephen is the author of Slimbrowser. Image
btamxx wrote:...However, there are a lot of very intelligent people on this thread and we can't all be wrong. VNC is a great utility that will allow anyone to log onto any computer running VNC host, and allow them to take control of the host. As well, anyone can send a request for help through Windows help and do the same thing. I know that you can't duplicate the problem on your own systems, but the problem exists and is real. Perhaps you might log onto one of these computers and have a look around. That would be one way of duplicating the problem and seeing first hand. I would be willing to allow you into mine so long as any changes you want to make are not permanent. Just a thought.
I'm well versed in VNC, and wouldn't recommend it to anyone. LogMeIn is a much, much better product.

However, as I've said repeatedly, there is only a small subset of users who experience this issue, and I've been unable to duplicate it on - literally - hundreds of installs. :? Either I'm doing something right, or...? Image However, if you want to create a LogMeIn accont and email me the details, you can contact me @ hfelsh@gmail.com and we can see what we find out.

BobH

Post by BobH » Tue Jan 27, 2009 3:57 pm

still no recognition of the issue, I guess, much less a cure?

Hans
Advanced Member

Post by Hans » Tue Jan 27, 2009 4:17 pm

There is not much that can be done, as it's not a universal issue. I've made some headway in diagnosing the issue, but it's still too sporadic to determine what, if anything, can be done.

It *may*, and I stress MAY, be caused by how SlimBrowser is parsing JavaScript. But I have nothing concrete as of yet, thus I have nothing to go to Stephen with yet. Image

johnadaniels

Post by johnadaniels » Tue Jan 27, 2009 7:35 pm

Hello,

I have been browsing for the last few weeks with "Active Scripting" Disabled and have not had any locks up, slow downs or memory leaks!

Hans
Advanced Member

Post by Hans » Wed Jan 28, 2009 5:57 am

johnadaniels wrote:Hello,

I have been browsing for the last few weeks with "Active Scripting" Disabled and have not had any locks up, slow downs or memory leaks!
What exactly did you turn off? By that, I mean what steps, where did you go (i.e., TOOLS - INTERNET OPTIONS, etc. for system-wide IE options, or TOOLS - OPTIONS for SLimBrowser-specific options.) That might be helpful in determining the root cause. At this point, I know I'm willing to look into any sort of option and try it. Image

I have a custom Start page I wrote years ago, and still use (albeit with new updates on a semi-regular basis) that has a LOT of JavaScript (mostly for OnMouseOver menus, using OverLIB), and it seems to be causing SlimBrowser to not load the page, but on an irregular basis. IE and FireFox (mostly) load the page when SlimBrowser does not, so not sure if how it's parsing it, and/or if there's error in the code (and believe me, I've gone over it hundreds of times, finding a few mistakes.) There are times, however, when SlimBrowser DOES load the page, even though I've made no changes to it, and other times (more often than not, lately) that it simply times out loading something. In FireFox, which also sometimes doesn't load the page, I've been able to use FireBug to see it's usually the OverLIB JavaScript file that loads as part of the head (overlib.js, to be specific.)

johnadaniels

Post by johnadaniels » Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:08 am

Hello,

The issues with the slowness or freezing happens if you have excute scripts checked under SlimBrowser download control options. Unchecking also fixes memory leak issue.

Some websites will not work properly like http://www.gametrailers.com but you can click tools -> Download Control and check "Excutive Scripts" for that one page.

Whatever scripts that are running are getting locked up with SlimBrowser or maybe just Internet Explorer.

You can also turn off scripts by the Control Panel and then to Internet Options and Security and Custom Level and turn off "Active Scripting".

Can someone confirm this?

Go to: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22596556/ and open up the links at the bottom of the article in new tabs and see Slim lock up and then uncheck the excute scripts and restart Slim and then go back to the site and you will see how fast it opens.

Hans
Advanced Member

Post by Hans » Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:05 pm

johnadaniels wrote:...Can someone confirm this?

Go to: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22596556/ and open up the links at the bottom of the article in new tabs and see Slim lock up and then uncheck the excute scripts and restart Slim and then go back to the site and you will see how fast it opens.
Without changing any settings, I'm able to visit that URL, click any of the links at the bottom of the article and open them in a new window, and Slimbrowser does NOT lock up nor stop responding.

nellswor

Post by nellswor » Sat Jan 31, 2009 9:38 am

For what it's worth I've been experiencing the SB slowdown/lock for a few years now. I still love SB but have just gotten in the habit of bouncing it once a day or so or when I have "too many" tabs open.

Google Chrome was very tempting and I really liked its Task Manager so you could kill off tabs that were out of control. I came back to SB though since it seems like there will never be RoboForm support for Chrome.

What is the possibility of a Chrome-like Task Manager for SlimBrowser so we could find the offending tabs and kill them, without killing SB entirely?

Thanks, Nathan

alad26

Post by alad26 » Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:51 am

I too have had the slowdown problem for the past couple of months and may have just found the culprite - on my system anyway. The problem seems to have coincided with the newest version of AVG and I have now disabled "Link Scanner", which seems to have resolved the problem, although it's early days yet. I wonder if any of the others with this problem are also using avg free and whether this work round fixes it for you?

(Using IE7, latest SB, 4gig ram, XP Pro SP3)

Hans
Advanced Member

Post by Hans » Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:40 pm

hank you for the info, but no, unfortunately, that's not one of the commonalities I've seen. Image I personally use Symantec's Norton Internet Security 2007 (the last to use the "old" Symantec AV engine), and I've had it both turned on, turned off, and even not installed at all. I wish it were that easy. :?

Willy44

Post by Willy44 » Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:46 am

I have this problem as well. If I visit consumerist.com or msnbc.com it's awful. If I go into Tools > Options > Download Control and turn off the Execute Scripting then I have no problems at all. Of course it's a pain then when I have issues with sites because now Java is turned off.

ITIS

Post by ITIS » Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:29 pm

I too have been having this problem for a while. I have noticed it whenever I'm on dell.com I then saw the posts on flash problems, so I went to the adobe page for flash, Major slowdowns. I have three pcs that it happens on. I just assumed it was badly written pages. but I.E. and Chrome do not have the same problems. (As I type this I have 10 tabs open on SB and I.E. open just to dell.com)

I am going to clean flash off my machine and see if that makes a difference.