Web Browser Discussion - FlashPeak Online Forum

Web Browser Software Forum. Discuss FlashPeak software products: SlimBrowser, IntelliComplete, BlazeFtp, etc.
It is currently Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:48 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 127 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 6:06 pm 

Hans,

I have reverted to 4.01 as a test and it seems to have solved the problem. I will try each version until I narrow down what version starts to slow down.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 7:32 pm 

Removing flash helped significantly on one machine. I will try the others soon.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 12:41 am 

After 5 years of using SB - just couldnt deal with the recent problem of just stopping and delaying on numerous sites. Tested IE and no problems with same sites. I regret having to go back to IE after being with SB for so long but it seems no one here cares enough to find a solution. Keep seeing it's not a SB problem - Well, I know it is.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 5:07 am 
Advanced Member

msimp wrote:
After 5 years of using SB - just couldnt deal with the recent problem of just stopping and delaying on numerous sites. Tested IE and no problems with same sites. I regret having to go back to IE after being with SB for so long but it seems no one here cares enough to find a solution. Keep seeing it's not a SB problem - Well, I know it is.
Posts like this annoy me. :? It's damn near impossible to "fix" something that can't be reliably duplicated. It's not that "no one here cares enough", it's that neither I nor Stephen (the author) can make this happen on a consistent basis. Image There are simply too many variables among users, their computers, even the websites people report "problems" with. Of the many links listed here, I've tested them in SB, and do not experience the issue.

IF we were able to reproduce the problem, we could at least diagnose what it is, and go from there. Since we can't, well....we can't. Image

My Cardomain site, featuring my Ãœbercharged 1997 Mazda MiataImage

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 6:38 am 

Hans, many, many people have reported the problem in this thread and others. Do you guys have a WebEx account or something similar so that you could actually look at someone's computer while the problem was happening?

Nathan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 6:31 am 
Advanced Member

nellswor wrote:
Hans, many, many people have reported the problem in this thread and others. Do you guys have a WebEx account or something similar so that you could actually look at someone's computer while the problem was happening?

Nathan
Actually, it hasn't been "many"; there have been SOME reports, but the number is low, and is far exceeded by those people who experience NO problems, slow-down or otherwise. If you'd have read the entire thread, you'd have seen I've already discussed remote access to a problem computer, and we have still been unable to determine the root cause that the users who experience this issue have been having. :?

Simply put, we've tried duplicating the issue, and if it WERE a "problem with SlimBrowser", then we'd be able to reproduce the issue with at least ONE of the websites mentioned. We've been unable to, and that leads back to one source: the computer that SlimBrowser is running on. It could be Java, Flash, some other third-party software or browser extension, OS settings, service packs/patches, or any other variable. I personally have installed SlimBrowser on - literally - hundreds of computers, running the entire gamut of OS and other software, and haven't experienced the problem. I've thought I stumbled on it several times, but after further investigation, reached the final conclusion that no, I had not.

Until we can reliably reproduce the issue, there's not much that can be done.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 9:45 am 

Maybe a high priority hotkey could run Dr.Watson (or a similar, built-in) reporting tool and send the report to FlashPeak for investigation. It could be as little as a file version mismatch or even a CPU bug. A complete report containing CPU details, RAM memory details, loaded modules, system resources, etc. could help.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:25 pm 

Something is hanging in Java or some kind of script code. If I open a lot of sites for awahile it starts to happen. Disabling scripts I have never had it hang up.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:29 pm 

Last night I was on the internet for a few hours surfing and then browser started getting slow. Clicking on the "Large Picture" link on this site: http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.js ... =107513556
Would take about 20 or 30 seconds to open and would freeze the browser at 99 cpu. I could disbale scripts for the page and it would open right up so it has something to do with java or some kind of other scripting.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 12:07 pm 

I had these problems for months. Today after reading all the posts here in this topic I disabled all items under "download control" --- and it works like in former times!
So next time I will enable one item after the next, I am sure to find the evil-doer.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:26 pm 

You will find that it is the Execute Scripts is the problem. Which is really turning off Active Scripting from Internet Explorer from Tools > Internet Options > Security > Custom Level > Scripting.
This whole issue like I have said time and time in this thread is about active scripting. The following is from Maxthon's Tabbed Browser website: "The emergence of Tabbed Browsing Mode and the increasing usage of Ajax Technology in websites might cause frequent freezing while browsing. Maxthon Browser has developed a new technology to solve this problem, makes your surfing more fluent." Maybe it is Ajax technology running from the active scripts that is causing the problem.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:58 pm 

http://www.oreillynet.com/xml/blog/2007/01/do_sync_calls_freeze_browsers.html

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 2:06 am 

johnadaniels wrote:
You will find that it is the Execute Scripts is the problem. Which is really turning off Active Scripting from Internet Explorer from Tools > Internet Options > Security > Custom Level > Scripting.
This whole issue like I have said time and time in this thread is about active scripting. The following is from Maxthon's Tabbed Browser website: "The emergence of Tabbed Browsing Mode and the increasing usage of Ajax Technology in websites might cause frequent freezing while browsing. Maxthon Browser has developed a new technology to solve this problem, makes your surfing more fluent." Maybe it is Ajax technology running from the active scripts that is causing the problem.

Yes I unchecked "Execute Scrips" and the website that was so slow is faster but the autologon doesnt work any more.

So I guess I have to memorize my passwords now.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 7:10 am 
Advanced Member

If that were the case, it would be happening to everyone running SlimBrowser, or at the very least, a much, MUCH larger percentage. That's not the case, and I see no difference with that option enabled or disabled. Image

Of course, I'm still not experiencing the issue, nor can I reliably duplicate it. Image

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 9:08 am 

I have installed the Maxthon on 2 computers and have been using it since yesterday and it does not freeze up. I have tried all of the tabbed browsers in the past and they all freeze up example: IE7, IE8, Chrome, Crazy Browser, Avant, Maxthon, Slim Browser, etc. I have always come back to SlimBrowser because it had the best setup and the only one that you can press enter in the address bar and it will put in http://www .com in for you and you do not have to press CTRL + Enter. Since the last time that I tried Maxthon they must have made some updates because it do not freeze up tabs when scripts are being run. If Slim Browser ever gets the freezing issue fixed I would love to keep using.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 127 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next