Can't add a link as a word on Yuku Forum

SlimBrowser bug reports

Moderator: SlimBrowser Forum Moderators

scribe_uk
Advanced Member

Can't add a link as a word on Yuku Forum

Post by scribe_uk » Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:17 am

It isn't possible to copy and paste a link as a word (eg. I might want to make the word 'here' go to a link) on a Yuku forum. http://theroyalwindsorforum.yuku.com/ I've tried it many times on the forum I've linked to, but I assume it will also apply to others.

It's something of a problem because if I copy and paste the URL (as I've done above), and it's a long address, it stretches the whole forum page, making it necessary for everone to scroll sideways to read other posts on that page - which isn't popular!

oftentired
Advanced Member

Re: Can't add a link as a word on Yuku Forum

Post by oftentired » Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:31 am

this is mostly a matter of how that forum works

the best way to link

Type your text that you wish to be the description or otherwise be "the link" that is seen. Then highlight the text that you wish to use as the link. Then you need to click the toolbar item at the top of your reply or new post working area that looks like a very short chain. You paste the address into the resulting dialog window where it says URL (and where your mouse icon is blinking by default) and then you click OK. This should result in a "hidden" URL that is displayed as linked text which should display normally on the forum webpage.

Pasted URL
Some forums will crop a pasted URL so that only a portion of it is shown but this is not true for every forum as appears to be the case with the Windsor forum.

scribe_uk
Advanced Member

Post by scribe_uk » Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:18 am

oftentired wrote:this is mostly a matter of how that forum works

the best way to link

Type your text that you wish to be the description or otherwise be "the link" that is seen. Then highlight the text that you wish to use as the link. Then you need to click the toolbar item at the top of your reply or new post working area that looks like a very short chain. You paste the address into the resulting dialog window where it says URL (and where your mouse icon is blinking by default) and then you click OK. This should result in a "hidden" URL that is displayed as linked text which should display normally on the forum webpage.
An excellent description and you are of course quite right, but when I click 'OK' nothing happens - the box just stays there, and the selected word or words don't highlight or become a link.

It seems to be some sort of incompatibility with Yuku forums, because it works with Firefox and Opera 12, although interestingly it won't work with IE, so possibly an issue with Trident engine browsers?

oftentired
Advanced Member

Post by oftentired » Tue Aug 20, 2013 6:06 pm

scribe_uk wrote:so possibly an issue with Trident engine browsers?
You may have put your finger on the problem. I don't think it is strictly an SB problem.

scribe_uk
Advanced Member

Post by scribe_uk » Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:58 am

It also works with SBt, so perhaps another good reason to make SB dual engine. :)

scribe_uk
Advanced Member

Post by scribe_uk » Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:39 am

FIXED! After updating IE from 10 to 11 (don't use it but just thought I should), it works! :D