Certain sites bring SB to a crawl

SlimBrowser bug reports

Moderator: SlimBrowser Forum Moderators

Kirbster

Certain sites bring SB to a crawl

Post by Kirbster » Tue May 20, 2008 1:01 pm

Certain sites (nfl.com and espn.com for example) while loading bring SB to a crawl during which no other tabs can be accessed until the sites have completely loaded, which takes forever. These same sites load very quickly in Firefox, so it's not a site issue. The problem therefore must reside in SB. I frequent sports message boards which often have links to nfl.com or espn.com. I've gotten to the point that I dread clicking on them because I know I won't have access to SB until the site has completely loaded. Sometimes I'll even switch to Firefox so I won't have to deal with it.

Will this issue be fixed anytime soon?

Hans
Advanced Member

Re: Certain sites bring SB to a crawl

Post by Hans » Fri May 30, 2008 8:28 pm

Actually, it's not a SB issue, it's the way the site is coded. Just because it "doesn't happen in FireFox" is irrelevant, as FireFox ignores many of the IE-specific things sites code.

In short, there's nothing to "fix" in SB. :?

Rhodo

Post by Rhodo » Sat May 31, 2008 6:17 pm

It *is* a SB issue. You cannot need 25 minutes with a CPU load of 100% to load a single html page (that loads normally in IE and Firefox) and say its not an issue.

marcdw
Advanced Member

Post by marcdw » Sun Jun 01, 2008 3:14 am

Ah, but the original poster didn't say the page loaded normally in IE, only Firefox.
Kirbster will have to verify the site problem with IE before we say it's an SB issue.

At first I was gonna ask if the site was flash-heavy but even 25 minutes is crazy, regardless of the content.
Is it possible for him to post the URL?

Marc

Hans
Advanced Member

Post by Hans » Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:25 pm

His first sentence says "Certain sites (nfl.com and espn.com for example) while loading bring SB to a crawl during which no other tabs can be accessed until the sites have completely loaded, which takes forever." I've visted them with SB, FF, IE, Avant, and Mozilla. No slowdowns in any of them.

I again reiterate, not a bug with SB. Image

marcdw
Advanced Member

Post by marcdw » Thu Jun 05, 2008 1:53 am

Heh, and the two sites were mentioned twice, too. Doh!
Can I blame it on age or something?

Anyhind, yeah the sites came up just fine with SB here, too.

On a side note, the way some sites are coded result in a not-too pleasurable experience. I get some of my
Palm OS apps from pocketgear.com but the way it seems to "paint" causes constant delays.
Sort of ruins the shopping experience.

Marc

Hans
Advanced Member

Post by Hans » Thu Jun 05, 2008 6:31 am

It really all depends on how the website was written. Many sites code IE-specific HTML options, which "alternative" (meaning non-IE based browsers, such as Mozilla, FireFox, and Avant, among others) ignore, thus not exhibiting the behavior described.

And, since it appears that only the OP (at this time) is experiencing the issue described, it's likely compounded by something on his or her PC; likely culprits are the multitude of toolbars that get installed (Yahoo, Google, et. al), which in realityy serve no useful function. I remove said toolbars from any system I work on for that very reason. I have not found a single "good enough" reason to keep ANY browser toolbar installed or running. Image

Rhodo

Post by Rhodo » Sat Jun 07, 2008 3:11 pm

Hans wrote:And, since it appears that only the OP (at this time) is experiencing the issue described...
No, me too!

http://www.ebay.at

is a brand new example of such a page. Not exactly, because it doesnt load forever as mentioned, but enough to see the difference between SB's and all other browsers' behavior.

Hans
Advanced Member

Post by Hans » Sun Jun 08, 2008 3:30 pm

Rhodo wrote:
Hans wrote:And, since it appears that only the OP (at this time) is experiencing the issue described...
No, me too!

http://www.ebay.at

is a brand new example of such a page. Not exactly, because it doesnt load forever as mentioned, but enough to see the difference between SB's and all other browsers' behavior.
I just loaded it, took less than 2 seconds to get everything.
SBman wrote:
... meaning non-IE based browsers, such as Mozilla, FireFox, and Avant, among others ...
BTW Avant is IE based.
I stand corrected. I always thought it Mozilla based.

Regardless, there is some sort of commonality between the users have the problem. Perhaps you have a BHO (Browser Helper Object), a toolbar, or something else installed? If it were SB, it should be happening to everyone (or at least a large proportionality), and seeing as I just loaded the page in less than 2 seconds with no problem...Image

Kirbster

Post by Kirbster » Wed Jun 11, 2008 4:18 pm

These problems ONLY happen in SB, not IE, Firefox, Opera. Therefore it MUST be an issue with SB.

I've given up ever getting any help from Hans; he refuses ever to recognize that there might be issues with SB. Is there anyone around who might wish to be helpful and find a solution to this problem?

Hans
Advanced Member

Post by Hans » Wed Jun 11, 2008 4:27 pm

There's nothing to fix; how hard is that for you to understand? Many, many, MANY people use SB, and DO NOT EXPERIENCE THE PROBLEM YOU DESCRIBE.

Which is more logical:

A.) A single user having a problem with a piece of software; the software must have a bug.

B.) A single user having a problem with a piece of software; the user's PC is at fault (something else installed/on the user's PC conflicting with it.)

You decide. Image

marcdw
Advanced Member

Post by marcdw » Wed Jun 11, 2008 6:53 pm

kirbster,
For testing purposes have you tried to uncheck some options in Download Controls and/or messed with
In-Page Ad Filter? Changes sometimes don't work instantly so you may need to close SB, clear cache/cookies, and restart it
to see if there's any improvement.

I have all settings still enabled and nfl.com and Rhodo's ebay site came up instantly (complete with fluttering butterflies).
The espn site came up quick enough but I don't like it. Keeps my CPU usage high (as is the case with a lot of flash sites).
Also, I have some sites blocked and use a program called Homer that replaces the blocked site's images with my own
(Display blocked by blah blah).
Anyhind, there's a lot of links/images on espn.com that point to log.go.com that get blocked.
Below the sign-in line and above the espn logo I have a large "Display blocked" image. Right-clicking on it gives me an Adobe Flash
menu. Not sure what's there.

Maybe I'm just yick-yacking.
I will say this, the espn.com site gives my Firefox a hard time. It was taking forever to load and wouldn't finish. Clicking the stop button and
hitting escape did nothing. Just a busy cursor. I never did get any flash video or that topmost item. It's like it was just stuck. Had to close the tab.

Lots of variables here but again it doesn't look like an SB issue.

Marc

Hans
Advanced Member

Post by Hans » Sat Jul 05, 2008 7:06 am

I believe I might have a possible answer to this "issue". I'd like to reiterate that it is NOT a SB problem.

Check THIS thread I made in the important announcements section. What version of Flash player do you have installed? If it's the "latest" 10 beta, that's an issue. Also, it appears that the 9.0.124.0 build might have issues on some systems; the previous build, 9.0.115.0, appears to be fine. I've been using the 115 build for a while now, and have not had any issues. I've also updated to the latest build and still do not experience any problems, but will be doing more testing to make sure.

I've also found out that if you have the Flash Player ActiveX already installed, the Adobe website will not update it to the latest build. You need to close all your browser windows, manually uninstall it from the Control Panel, then initiate the installation from the Adobe website.

ramslim

Post by ramslim » Sat Jul 12, 2008 11:04 am

I've had the same problem for quite some time now. I click on a site and SB freezes while the page loads. I cannot go back to viewing already loaded pages (tabs frozen and I get the cursor with the timer hourglass). I have to wait till SB 'releases'.

This has been happening much longer than Flash Player 10. It is getting to be seriously annoying and I was disappointed no one could come up with a concrete solution. Perhaps a dumpfile could be generated when this happens so the people at Flashspeak can address this problem.

Hans, I'll be waiting for your "not an SB issue" remark but in the meantime, this is becoming far more frequent which prompted me to write.

Hans
Advanced Member

Post by Hans » Sat Jul 12, 2008 1:18 pm

You can wait all you want, but the bottom line is that it is not a "SlimBrowser" problem. Image If it were, more people would have the issue, now wouldn't they? :? But they don't. It's *something* on your PC causing the problem. It may be a conflict with another installed application, a browser helper object (probable), or something else, but the solution is for you to find what it is.

I'm betting if you, say, formatted your computer and installed nothing but SlimBrowser, the problem wouldn't be there. Granted, that's a drastic step, and one I'm not advocating, but the point I'm trying to make is that it's simply not a problem with SlimBrowser, and as such there is not anything Stephen can do about it. Image